SRV's Austin City Limits Rig

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cjhastings, Apr 2, 2017.

1. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

This is correct. The factory footswitch could bring the vibratone in and out of the signal path.

2. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

and we're not even talking about sonic youth's (or worse, mudhoney with no board at all)

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Charly didn't have tremolo. Bad Guitar World graphics. [​IMG]

NHBluesMan and FuzzyAce like this.
  4. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

out of all the guitars he played, Charley was my favorite. beautiful tone

5. rufedges

rufedges Member

I'm pretty sure the most famous song the Charley got played on was "Tin Pan Alley". From what I've read, the whole track was also recorded at a lower overall volume, creating the magic song it is today. They tried recording the tune at normal volume afterwards, it wasn't the same.

6. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I would have loved to have heard him through the modded Soldano SLO he had built right before his death.

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

9. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Can you point to the source of that pic? That doesn't look right to me...

10. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

Yeah sure, here's the link: http://www.voodooguitar.net/2016/09/the-srv-gear-guide.html

It was the only image I could find. The other pics of his pedalboard seem to be from the mid 80s before In Step and ACL.

11. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Well like I said I'm only going from memory but I thought any glimpses of the board in acl were the wide, curved version seen a few posts up, not this tiny ill-fitted plywood with the tube screamer hanging off lol. Also it's a different signal order than srv usually preferred, and that doesn't look like a vibratone footswitch. But I digress, who knows...

12. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

Kind of funny how the TS9 gets so much slagging and that the TS808 is associated with SRV but most pictures of his board show a TS9. Seems pretty clear that he used one of those for quite some time.

songtalk likes this.
  13. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

But does it really matter? You won't get any closer to his sound by changing over from a 808 to the TS9 or vice versa.

14. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Although I own both pedals, I actually prefer the tone of the TS-9 compared to the TS-808.

songtalk likes this.
  15. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

No it doesn't matter a bit. Didn't matter to him either. I just find it ironic how much dislike the 9 gets around here.

16. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I have both a TS808 Reissue from around 2012 and a 2001 TS9 (with the Maxon pcb). There's a difference but it's so negligible that I really don't care about it.
    I always seem to see more TS9 on boards here than 808s.

17. cjhastings

cjhastings Member

You're probably right. I'll try and see if I can find an actual picture of his board at the performance. If only premier guitar had done a rig rundown for Stevie...

captaincoconut likes this.
  18. bmcash

bmcash Member

Here's my take on it. I have been interested in his rig since the early 90s and have studied it as much as possible. For the final ACL he used a vibratone driven by a vibroverb, a marshall major PA in the low input and the black face dumble (which is more like the bass dumbleland). Both heads were fed into the super reverbs 4x10 cabs.....I guess the 4x12s would have been way too loud. As far as pedals, I am confident his signal path was the following: guitar > roger mayer octavia > fuzz face > tube screamer > wah. I have played around with this signal path for years and this one is the only that sounds like his; for example, the wah is not first. There is an inherent impedance mis-match with the wah and the fuzz...there is no way he got his sound on the outro of voodoo chile with the wah first. If you follow the black and white picture mentioned in the earlier post, you can actually see the input of the wah coming from the output of the ts10. Also, look at the fuzz and the output signal is going to the ts10. And remember, just because the wah is on his far right does not mean that its first in the signal path.....its just the way he liked his pedals oriented. For tightrope, the fuzz face is on the entire time.....he goes from clean to mean by adjusting the volume pot.