SS Amps - Only For Jazzers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Berger, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Member

Does anyone besides jazz guitarists play solid state amps? I know many jazzers play tube amps too of course, but I don't hear much about solid state amps being played by guitarist in other styles.

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Plenty of Metal guitarists using SS.

3. logdrum

logdrum Member

Roland JC-120 is still being used by Duffy of the Cult and it's not like he is a pedal freak or session musician. It's part of his signature sound.

http://www.billyduffy.com/gear/roland-jc-120-amplifier/

Many reggae bands use it at least one of the Marley boys guitarist do, Ziggy and Stephen for sure. Afro pop use it all the time.

In the 80's many hair bands use it. Every backline company carries them

4. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Steel players, classic country players... people using modelers...

So basically, no. Not just for jazz guys.

5. mughead

mughead Member

i have an old homemade 200w SS amp i found in a second hand shop many moons ago, i also have a DOD "american metal" pedal. Every now and then i feel the need and lep rip. It is strangely satisfying taking me back to my former years where this was my "rig". dear oh dear

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Lots of comments mentioned above
    I own both and play gospel / country / folk / blues / rock through the the following amps:
    Mesa Express 5:25
    Jazzkat Tomkat SS
    Fishman Loudbox Artist SS
    Tweed deluxe 53E head into a Sica 15" neo speaker

Anything goes these days...according to what style music you play.

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I've seen JC120s on shoegaze/dreampop bands more than in any other genre.

Jonny Greenwod from Radiohead has been using a Marshall Shredmaster into a Fender Eighty-Five since the 90s for the dirty sounds.

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

JC - 120s

Peavey

JC-120

The Dreaded Fender Solid State of the '70s

9. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Alot of the old Goth and post punk guys used solid state.

The Cure
    The Cult
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    The Mission
    The Smiths

That sort of thing

10. teemuk

teemuk Member

Here are some artists who did nothing short of defining "rock-n-roll"...

In certain time period, his goto amps were Triumph 100 and Vox Supreme. Both solid-state.

[​IMG]

One of these guys even established an entire company to produce and distribute solid-state guitar amps. You see them at the back of this photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rory Gallagher's backline often consisted of German Stramp amps. Rory ordered a custom 30W transistor combo from them so he could have an amp that fit the trunk of his VW. If he didn't use a Stramp tube head + cab you would see him plugged to a stack of two of these combos. He was so impressed by this amp that cover of "Blueprint" album even features circuit diagram of it. One of his best tones was through these amps.

11. teemuk

teemuk Member

Also...

Solid-state amp:

Solid-state amp(s):

Solid-state amp:

Solid-state amp:

12. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Wow, the Ventures records after the Nokie coup sounded pretty awful....I bought every Ventures record from the first one down to about four into that period and I stopped.

13. SteveO

SteveO Member

The Peavey Mace amps that Skynyrd used were hybrids (solid state preamps with tube power sections).

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I've been using solid-state lately (old Yamaha). Dirt cheap, well built, lightweight, sounds good, takes pedals like a dream. I get all my dirt from pedals anyway.

15. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Saw Andy Summers recently on Jimmy Fallon using a JC 120 playing w the band

16. Sinister Goatfish

Sinister Goatfish Member

Ty Tabor of King's X.....Lab Series L5.

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I should have held on to my JC120.. I've got an old Kustom Tuck N Roll 250 head that sounds great though.. Nice clean slate of an amp.

18. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

I found there's a lot to like about current solid state amps once I started exploring bass amps, a world in which solid state is common. I think that's where solid state innovation is happening because it's been accepted and there's money in it for designers and amp companies: "bass players buy them, so let's make it happen!" kind of philosophy. I could be totally wrong, but that just seems to me to be the case to me.

I picked up a new Fender Rumble 200 combo as I just recently got a bass, and one of my requirements for whatever bass amp I got was that it had to also work decently for guitar. Here are a bunch of things it does pretty darn well:

1) With active EQ section, a gain and level (clean boost) knob config on the overdrive channel, a master vol, and a warm sounding "vintage" button, it has tons of options and ended up sounding fantastic with my tele and LP type guitars for 60s/70s rock. Turn down the bass to 3:00, crank the high mids, low mids at noon-ish and treble at 9:00. Overdrive channel with gain knob just barely on, level knob cranked. Vintage button engaged. Sounds fantastic. Guys in the store didn't know what was going on: "what? that's a bass amp? never thought to plug a guitar in, wow" Seriously employees gathered around and I'm not that good, so it wasn't me. I just played the kind of stuff I like to play like Bring it on Home, Won't Get Fooled Again, Dig a Pony, Strange Brew, Stones stuff that I can't recall. Different tones, sure. But similar world/genre and the Rumble handled this stuff rather well.

2) I can use it as a warm, clean platform that responds well with Lumpy's Liquid Lead and/or Lemon Drop going into the front end.

3) I could pick up a Tech21 Character Series or Joyo pedal and run guitar -> pedal -> effect return -> to bypass the preamp section and go straight into the power amp.

4) I've got a THR10 amp with a headphone out that can plug into an Aux input on the Rumble. Kind of muddy, use the eq on the THR10 and fixed.

15" speaker, 140 watts, 35 lbs: Loud and Light-weight

I was also extremely impressed with the new Ampeg BA combos for specifically Lemon Song, honky mids type stuff, Stones, Faces, etc. But they were heavy and not as versatile and didn't give me the good vibes that the Rumble did. Plus, I figured I could just get the new Ampeg DI pedal and/or Tech21 VT pedal and go straight into the power amp of the Rumble for the same tones.

Side by side with my Supro 1624T clone the Rumble is feels stiffer and punchier. Well that makes sense since the Supro is tube rectified and open back. The Supro is more pleasant for me to play through, hard to describe really, might just be the nature of the difference between tubes and solid state, I don't know. Maybe I'm just more familiar with it. Whatever the case. But if the Rumble was all I had I'd feel extremely confident about using it. It would be a pleasure to play and sound great, too. It completely surprised me.