SS pre > Tube power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lankybass, Feb 21, 2012.

1. lankybass

lankybass Member

I might purchase a '74 Peavey Classic 212. I've done some research and I think it has a solid state preamp into a tube poweramp. How does this setup hold up to your ears? Idk that I've ever had an amp like this and I'd like to get a decent sound since I play at least twice weekly. I really only want it for clean tones and maybe the on board reverb, but if it's going to sound like crap then I won't bother. The big thing on my mind is how well will it handle my pedals?

thoughts?

2. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I've used the Heritage and the Mace amps - which have the same design. For clean and reverb, the amps sounded very very good at loud volumes. The amps took certain pedals well. The lowly Boss Overdrive sounded phenomenal... while my germanium fuzz sounded horrible.

Something else to consider - these amps have an old style 5-pin connector. If the amp doesn't come with the footpedal and cable - you're out of luck.

3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I had one awhile back loaded with a couple Celestions. Cleans were great and it took pedals well. I kinda wish I still had it.

4. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

I have a Music Man 210 HD with similar configuration. Sounds great - like a Vibrolux on steroids.