SS rectifier in a Deluxe reverb - yay or nay?

so i have been toying with the idea of this on mine. has anyone done it? i hear it can tighen things up a bit. curious to hear what opinions are out there.

cheers

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
Might be ok for a reissue but I think think that it would raise the voltage too high in a vintage amp

Blue Strat

Not a good idea in either amp unless you're running JJ 6V6GTs. And even then, it increases your plate voltage and MAY increase it enough to exceed the maximum ratings on your power supply capacitors. It's not the kind of swap you should do mindlessly. At VERY least, you should check the above issues AND ABSOLUTELY rebias.

swiveltung

You might like it, but as mentioned, in a vintage amp they are already way over voltage for 6V6's

swiveltung

so i have been toying with the idea of this on mine. has anyone done it? i hear it can tighen things up a bit. curious to hear what opinions are out there.

cheers
I think you will get "tighter" with speaker choice.... especially if your DR has the GZ34 rectifier already.

zenas

You mentioned tightening things up a bit. Just thinking is this a silver or blackface DR ? If so are the filter caps fresh?

Otherwise, at the risk of releasing the power transformer's magic smoke, some people use 6L6s in DR's and a SS rectifier and get away with it.
Would I do it with my own BFDR ? No!
(I'm just not very lucky)

BlueRiff

I've done this but as another poster mentioned, I got better results with speaker that had tight bottom end. You're making the amp into a different animal installing a SS rec.

Trending Topics