SSL-5 tone pot

amp48

I recently put an SSL-5 in my strat. With the 250k tone pot connected it sounds a little too much like a humbucker/dull. Without the tone pot it is much brighter...maybe a little too bright.
Would using a 500k pot split the difference and put it somewhere between dull and bright?

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the 500k will allow more brightness on the top end, 1 meg would allow even more.

Having said that, I have one with a 250k right now with two SSL2s and, while it's not as bright as the SSL2s, it doesn't sound remotely like a humbucker and sounds more like a hot rodded Strat pickup than a P90 to my ears.

Previously had another one in a single SC guitar and between it, an FS1, an SDS1 and a Quarter Pounder, it and the FS1 sounded the most like a Strat pickup to me.

I guess between the 500k and 1 meg options, it depends on how much brighter you want try to go. Maybe grab one of each and try them. I'd personally think the 500k would be plenty.

amp48

So a 500k pot will be brighter than a 250k, but no tone pot at all will be the brightest?

amp48

Or maybe a no load pot would be best...that way I can go back-and-forth between no tone control and a little bit of treble attenuation

Trending Topics