"St. Blues" Guitars: Mid Priced NAMM Discovery

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Axemeister, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I saw a bunch of nice equipment at NAMM. I was really impressed by many of the high end builders, which can be talked about in another thread.........

However, I also came across "St. Blues" guitars, a new NAMM exhibitor with some really nicely done guitars at a great price point. I have no personal reason to tout these guitars, beyond wanting to share a cool discovery. These are pretty traditional designs, but they are nicely done and really playable. The bodies are nicely matched two piece ash, and the necks are hard rock maple...

The quality seems comparable to the better Fender and G&L domestic built guitars, and they are set up really well, and even have bone nut as standard feature. These are slotted to start at retail selling prices in mid price range, but they feel great, and set-up quality feels like a much more expensive guitar.

I think that the original St. Blues design by Strings and Things was sort of a hot compact Tele derivative axe about 15 years ago, but the company disappeared for quite awhile. They are back under the Guitar Workshop/Legendary brand, with a few different designs and pick up configs.

Here is the resurrected compact orginal design (sorry about the lousy angle of the picture).

[​IMG]

Here is the tele shaped style, but the tele switch is a actually more like a Strat five way set-up. Lots of different tones with this one. They also have a Strat shaped body, but it is a bound flat top like these.

[​IMG]

In fact, late Sunday I convinced them to sell me one of their display guitars (the sunburst tele shaped one above). It felt like an old friend the minute I picked it up. A nice discovery.

They have different pickup combos that those shown in these pics. Here is a link to their site:
    http://legendarygear.com/index_content.html

2. Rama

Rama Member

The one you got is super sweet.

How much?

Fretboard radius?

3. CapoFirstFret

CapoFirstFret Member

St. Blues Guitars are actually quite old. They are commissioned by Strings and Things of Memphis, TN..a large music shop in downtown Memphis. They made guitars for many people back in the day. They also have another line called Strings and Things Customs. I have one of their earliest models (#104) built in Schecter's Texas shop while under the watchful eye of Tom Anderson. Great guitars back in the day...I don't know much about their current quality

4. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am not sure about radius. Its not on the spec sheet. Flatter than vintage, but not too flat.

They have two lines. The basic guitar, like mine is supposed to sell for $600 or so retail. They also have an upgraded version with upgraded tuners, pots, and handwound pickups for about $200 more retail.

For comparision, I can say that I have a beautiful U.S. G&L Asat with a list price of about $1700 that is matched in fit and finish by my St. Blues. The neck and fretwork on the St. Blues is as good or better.... That is a kudo for the St. Blues---not a knock on G&L.

5. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I remember these.I believe ESP Japan also supplied the parts for these as well as Kramer back in the early and mid 80's.

6. Antero

Antero Member

Those look pretty cool!

7. Vendelcrow

Vendelcrow Member

I have always liked them since I first saw them in the 80:ies, and I use to keep an eye on eBay to see if I can pick one up (but they tend to go to high).
    So instead I have built some St Blues inspired guitars myself, but still I am looking.

8. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

The bodies and necks are now built in one of the better Korean factories, but they say that final assembly and set up is done in Memphis. I just got done doing a restring and set up on mine and I looked over the neck and fret work closely...I can tell you that the factory frets are finished as well as any factory production guitars I have ever owned, regardless of price. Of course, I have to admit that have only seen the NAMM samples, but it seems like these folks know what they are doing.

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

they look like godin SDs !

10. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Not really...it may be the angle of the picture that makes the one shape look that way.

By the way, Godin had a new model with three oversized single coils at NAMM-- at a typical good price point.

11. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I bought one at the 2008 NAMM show. Small and light with full feeling neck and decent quality parts, including "Wilkinson" bridge. Basic Tele setup with P-90 in neck and thinline body style. They make many other configurations. Heavy duty gig bag. Mine is snappy and resonant and fun to play.

They sell new for well under 1k. They are worth that, and make great travel guitars (easily fits in overhead bin).

[​IMG]

12. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I've been a fan of ST Blues since the original issues in the 80's.
    The current production of these guitars offers extremely high quality guitars for the price point.

Highly recommended!

13. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I got this one on Ebay #365 several years ago....nice fat 'V' shape neck...someone had upgraded the pups to Rio Grandes...I got it for a tad less than $250.

[​IMG]