Stackable Fuzz pedals

teestone

Mostly Regular Member
Gold Supporting Member
As a pedal stacking junky, I'm always trying new combinations.

Overdrive and distortion have been the main subjects of my testing over the years.

In the past, I've never really used fuzz. :hide

Maybe some fuzz-like pedals but rarely any straight up fuzz.

The plan is to run the yet to be determined fuzz pedal into any of the following which currently live on my board....Proanalog Dirt Royale w/Cheese, PA Dual Drive, Zendrive and/or Bogner Red. I have a Skreddy DME on order which will go at the end of the chain.

I current have a Skreddy SDMD at the beginning set to low gain which stacks nicely into the others but I rarely use it by itself. I prefer the Dual Drive for my low gain needs.

There are several other pedals before the gain stages so something that needs to be at the very front of the signal path won't work with my setup.

Some that I've tried thus far...Skreddy LMMD, HFD, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, BA Spooky Tooth

Some names that I have on my radar...Hermida Dover Drive, Analogman Astro Tone, Proanalog Fuzz III, LMMD again.

I'm on the PTD list but have a solid 8 months before my name comes up.

Open to suggestions....

rck

I'm on the PTD list but have a solid 8 months before my name comes up.

Open to suggestions....
Thought about picking up a used PTD, such as one of the Bone pedals?

The Minibone(s) I've had and Bone Machine GTx I currently use, all stacked well with MIAB and Tube Screamers, Boss SD-1...and I'm not big on stacking.

Also, you can find Minibones on the used market.

teestone

Mostly Regular Member
Gold Supporting Member
Thought about picking up a used PTD, such as one of the Bone pedals?
Definetely thought about it...

The Rotobone is on my list of PTD wants. When my name does come up, I'm going to get several offerings.

I guess I'd prefer something more readily available.

Reactions: rck
As a pedal stacking junky, I'm always trying new combinations.

Overdrive and distortion have been the main subjects of my testing over the years.

In the past, I've never really used fuzz. :hide

Maybe some fuzz-like pedals but rarely any straight up fuzz.

The plan is to run the yet to be determined fuzz pedal into any of the following which currently live on my board....Proanalog Dirt Royale w/Cheese, PA Dual Drive, Zendrive and/or Bogner Red. I have a Skreddy DME on order which will go at the end of the chain.
So are you definitely locked into fuzz > other gain or are you open to the reverse? I usually like lower gain into higher gain as I feel lower gain pedals kind of de-claw higher gain if they're placed after it. I always liked running Tubescreamer style into the Mayer Spitfire. Lately I've enjoyed running a Barber Gain Changer into a Catalinbread Manx Loughtan (Big Muff style).

I do like running the Manx into the Pigtronix Fat Drive. The Fat Drive's tone control is a low pass filter, so it preserves low end, which is usually what you appreciate about Muff circuits. Seems to preserve the character of both pedals.

teestone

Mostly Regular Member
Gold Supporting Member
So are you definitely locked into fuzz > other gain or are you open to the reverse? I usually like lower gain into higher gain as I feel lower gain pedals kind of de-claw higher gain if they're placed after it.
Not necessarily...

Right now I have the lower gain pedals in front of the Bogner Red which is last. I find the Zendrive and Red prefer getting slammed with other pedals. The PA pedals I utilize are great at this.

Thus far my experience with fuzz has led me to putting them in front of these. De-clawing the fuzz is what I'm after in certain applications.

I haven't had very good results with stacking into a fuzz. Running it solo or into something else has yielded the best results.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I posted a couple fuzz-stacking experiments on the Strictly Fuzz thread last year:
It's funny, I've been stacking ODs for ages, and fuzzes into ODs (& vice-versa), but I haven't been stacking fuzzes into each other until quite recently. Go figure.

This "it's time to go to bed" jam consists of yet another SloppyLoop™ that I play over with some stacked fuzzes and wah for the real-time guitar. Starts out with stacked Rotobone and Tornita w/ feedback on (what was I thinking?), then moved into stacked Rotobone and Zippy, ending up with Mini-bone and Zippy, pitch shifted down an octave. There's a bunch of other Eventide processing in there, as well.

and this one:
The stacking experiments continue. Here's a PTD Rotobone going into a Basic Audio Spooky Tooth.

MemorymanDL

I flogged this lead tone by stacking a Greer Tarpit (Muff based) with a current production model Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.
I think it sounds pretty great. There's some wah in there too.

Trending Topics