Stacked HB Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wavey63, Jan 26, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

What is the proper wiring for having stacked humbuckers switch from being in phase/out of phase with each other or series/parallel with each other? I am trying for some different tones and wanted to try something like this.:munch:BEER:horse

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

anything other than normal series or single-coil split will probably be pretty feeble sounding. (tom anderson stacks are ok in parallel, but just barely.)

(edit) my bad, you said each other, not with themselves. just treat the hot and grounds of the stacks like the hot and ground of any two single coils, and wire accordingly. depending on the pickups, series could get muddy, since some old-school stack designs already wind a huge amount of wire on there in an attempt to get some output. (a pair of 20k stacks in series yields 40k!)

3. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Thanks Walter. Now how would I wire them so that they can be switched from in/out of phase? I saw a diagram that used a mini toggle. I think that is the route to go. Also, are normal PU's wires in series or parallel and what are the sonic differences?

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Like Walter said just treat it like a regular single coil, using a DPDT mini switch to reverse the hot and ground. If this a 3 pu strat style and you want out of phase with bridge and neck hook the switch to the middle pu. Now, my question is do you really want single coils out of phase, especially stacked coils which are already struggling to produce good output?

5. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Well, see, what I am trying to do is get the tonal options of Brian mays setup. ort of. I have a pickguard with Fender singles and onw with Seymour stacked hums. I basically want to have in/out of phase with each other, once again, similar to May. I have both setups wired with standard 5way and also an on/off to have B/n and B/N/M but want to get tht chimey tone of the other option. I know his pickups are wired in series with on/off and phase switching. So iI need the phase option. But if I am totally off the mark let me know. I just wonder how Brian ges those psed sounds with little loss of volume. Hope I am not just chasing rainbows...:jo

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

normally guitars with multiple pickups are wired in parallel, so that two pickups have relatively the same output as one. series wiring basically "adds" the output of two or more pickups together, increasing output at the expense of treble response.

the seymour stacks are "old-school" designs with tons of wire wrapped on there. they probably won't make good candidates for series combinations, as the resultingly high dc resistances would make for very muddy and dull sounds. remember, brian may uses thin, low-output single coils in his guitar which he adds together in series to get high output. his trick is to add all three together, resulting in a loud "wall of mud", and then flip one of them (i think either the neck or the bridge) out of phase to add some cut back into the sound.

7. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Urderstood Walter. SO with Fender SC's, how would this be done?I am assuming a mini togle of some sorts but how and what do I use it. I have been wiring my own guitars for years but have never ventured too much into this terratory....