Stackers Lounge

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by giggedy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. giggedy

giggedy Member

I figured that a lot of people stack out there, and I just saw the thread about the difference between a boost after/before distortion. Let this be a place where everyone can ask questions about stacking, and share their experience with stacking, their stacking settings, etc...

I'll start:

Right now I'm running Zen>KOT>Tim. I've got the Zen with the gain around 11. The KOT is set with distortion on red side, od on yellow side. The gain on the distortion is almost dimed, and the overdrive isn't far off. Then the Tim's gain is around 10:30. I haven't had a chance to play loud with the KOT yet, but we're practicing tonight, so that'll be the first time. I love the way that Tim stacks, makes just about everything sound better.

2. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

I'll play......

PA Dual Drive-->Zendrive-->Mosferatu...and many other filter, modulation and delay/reverb effects.

The DD functions as a clean boost most of the time...Zen as a light overdrive...Mos as med/high gain distortion. I use both the clean and overdrive channels on the DD to goose the front of the Zen or Mos for a few more useful tones.

I used to own a Dirt Royale w/Cheese instead of the DD, but recently traded with a forum member. The DRw/C is a great stacker....I'll probably get another one at some point. I also have plans for a Kar Krash in the near future...I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll be a keeper. At some point I'd like to get a BJF Honey Bee OD as I've read it's also a great stacker.

My Octron 2 and Mutron III enjoy being stacked too. A few other examples...low octave + Mutron + Dual Drive is totally disgusting! High octave + Ultravibe with narrow sweep and medium/high speed + Zendrive is throbtacular!

As you can see, I love stacking pedals! Any one pedal might get bounced off the board if it doesn't play nice with it's neighbors. I can't tell you how many individually cool pedals have come and gone because they didn't work well with other pedals.

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

right now i'm using the following stack:

Beano Boost> Timmy> Throbak Overdrive Boost> Tim

I'm using the Tim as a light drive... add the Timmy for medium.... add the Throbak for heavy drive... and add the Beano to any of the configurations for a lead tone.

The Tim just stacks so well. I also use a Menatone Blue Collar into the Tim for medium drive sometimes.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I stack my BB with my amp's already hot distortion. THICK.

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

where did you get your mutron III? I've also been wanting a honey bee, but I think I'm going to hold off on dirt pedals for a while (I've heard that before).

6. teestone

I purchased it from a forum member. Keep your eyes on the emporium...they pop up every now and again. Nothing comes close to the real deal, they're worth the premium!!!:JAM

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

how much did you pay?

8. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

ive got a few tones im puttin together.

at the moment my dirt pedals are just an ulbrick megalodon boost and a 12axe overdrive.
    the versatility of the megalodon is very handy. i can use it to fill out my clean tone or the overdrive tones from my amp or the 12axe. or i can crank the gain on it to saturate the drive a little more, since i run the amp at very low gain and the 12axe at low-medium.
    megalodon can push them anywhere from medium to high gain.

inbound i have a KOT that im hoping will stack with itself nicely enough to get me a good blues tone. red channel for overdrive, yellow(or green?) as either volume or gain boost

also have a java boost and fuzzhead comin my way. for something completely different :)

they'll be my 4 main drive tones
    Megalodon->amp = creamy overdrive tone great for hollowbodies
    Megalodon->12axe. low gain present day clapton tones, boost for medium gain.
    KOT -> itself. not sure what to expect from this one. may even explore the KOT's distortion tones
    Java -> Fuzz. hoping this will get a nice 60's/70's fuzztone goin

9. giggedy

giggedy Member

you will have no problem getting a great blues tone from KOT.

10. teestone

I wanna say $285...a steal IMHO. You will have a hard time finding one for that much but ya never know. Find the motivated seller!

11. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I'm running a MI Audio CrunchBox into an Analogman Peppermint Fuzz and when I combine the two :dude

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

ok, we're taking a break from practice. This KOT is the absolute ****, I love it!

13. erksin

erksin Member

My current board:

[​IMG]

The chain is:

VariOboost Pro > DR w/C > HBOD > Timmy > MDEQ > SAD-1 > SS > SCH-1 set for Stereo mode out to my two amps.

I've gone through a TON of different ODs/boosts/treble boosters/fuzzes in the past three years and these guys are what has ultimately worked out best for my needs. They each sound phenomenal on their own, and are really complimentary without any overlap.

I started out with the Timmy as the one dirt pedal to build the rest of the board around - everything else has to get along with it and sound equally as good or it's gone. It's my meat and potatoes dirt sound into a clean amp. I basically have it set to what my amp sounds like when its just starting to break up and it nails that tone. Every other pedal on my board sounds incredible stacked into it - it focuses things and keeps all the clarity and harmonic content intact. I've had it three years and I still find it essential - incredible box.

I dial in the VariOboost Pro for a couple of different sounds - cocked wah, lo-fi radio sounds, or tweed Champ-style honky overdrive. This into the HBOD is really an awesome pairing for solo boosts since the HBOD has such killer mid content. I used to have a Clyde wah on my board before the VBP, but I rarely used it - when I did, I usually parked it at certain freqs for different EQ tones/solo boosts. The VBP sounds way better to my ears for that purpose so it was easy to go without the Clyde - I don't miss it at all - I use the VBP 10x more than I ever used the Clyde.

The DR w/C took me awhile to warm up to. I previously had a CoT50 Red in its spot and it worked really well as a lead booster when stacked, but didn't see much use on it's own into my amps when they were set clean. The DR w/C is fatter/fuller by comparison and just flat out sounded better to me. I have it dialed in as a pseudo treble booster/light fuzz to goose the other drives for lead stuff or heavy rhythm parts - stomp the Cheeze side and it saturates really nicely into faux-Fuzzland.

The HBOD is my 'mids' pedal. I don't really have much gain dialed in at all - I have to pick pretty hard to get it to distort. It fattens everything up and has a beautiful rich high end. Basically makes my Z-90 equipped Tele sound like a big ol' hollowbody. Stacked into the Timmy, it sounds like a '60s Ampeg - 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' type thick overdrive. Boosting it with the DR w/C is my main lead sound - they are so dynamic and punchy together with a ton of harmonic content. I love this pedal - it has such a complex sound to it, its really like a tiny vintage tube amp stuffed into a Hammond enclosure.

The MDEQ usually only sees action when I'm playing at low volumes at home - it helps to add back the lows and some sparkle that I lose when I have to turn down. It's also nice to have it on hand when I have to borrow amps - I can set my EQ at my board instead of futzing with an unfamiliar amp.

Over the years, the basic formula for me has been to stack low-med gain boxes only and to have the ones with the most versatile tone sections be last in the chain to best utilize their EQs. I find stacking low gain boxes gives me much more interesting sounds than any single higher gain box I've tried - there is a layering effect that sounds much more harmonically complex, probably because there is less compression going on.

Anyway, thats my approach to stacking.

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

that's starting to resonate with what I was just thinking during practice. I like the zendrive's "blooming" at low gain, I'm thinking of switching the zen and kot, so it'll go kot>zen>tim. I'll give it a try tomorrow, that practice took a lot out of me, it was the first time we've played together in a while b/c of the holidays.

15. Sid

Sid Member

I've got a lotta combos on my board....

Sunface->Eternity(on its way out)->Screwdriver->Top Fuel->Dyna Red->Mayo(coming soon)->Timmy

I never stack more than 2 of em at a time.....the requirement for all my ods is less compression,dynamic....My fav of all of these...screwdriver ->timmy

16. Joses

Joses Member

i'm running the following dirts:

Hotcake > Blackstone > GSR > MP Mighty Red > Timmy

The combos that blow me away are:
    - Blackstone > GSR
    - Hotcake > GSR
    - ANYTHING > Timmy :D

17. Grap

Grap Member

I'm a proponent of stacking too:

Simple:

Vintage RAT -> Drivetrain II

Modified:

Keeley DS-1 Ultra -> Keeley TS-9 Mod+ -> Keeley TS-9 Baked Mod

OTT:

Fulltone Ultimate Octave -> Full-Drive II FM -> Sahasrara Overdrive

I like the effect you get when a distortion pedal is run through a relatively low-gain overdrive, but when I stack overdrives I perfer to have them in increasing drive level sequence.

18. erksin

erksin Member

In my experience, higher gain -> lower gain works best to preserve any dynamics in most cases.

Typically, higher gain drives have more compression and fairly limited tone circuits. If you think about your signal as a funnel shape, running a more dynamic low gainer (the wide end of the funnel) into a high gainers (the narrow end) compression and limited tone circuit you lose all your dynamics. If you were to run them in opposite order, the low gain drive retains all of its dynamics and the overall tone is much bigger sounding.

19. monk

monk Member

TIM as a clean/slight break up boost, sometimes with a Keeley compressor.
    OCD for light crunch
    FETTO for Marshall crunch.
    TIM>FETTO for leads.

20. giggedy

giggedy Member

This is strange to me. I've read so many times that the "typical" way to stack is from low>high gain. The more I experiment, the more I like the opposite to be true.