Stacking...come on!

schenkadere

Wouldn't anyone prefer just a single pedal to achieve the same effect as stacking? Buying multiple $$$ "boutique" pedals to stack to achieve your "ultimate" tone seems crazy to me. I set this at 3/4 into this at 2/3 then into this at 15/16...what's that all about? Isn't it time people started investigating their fingers and technique?

Personally...I will stack 2 OD's simply because I feel most distortion pedals suck. After 25 years playing, I haven't found a distortion pedal that has any real character. but when I hear players talking about the ridiculous $$$ they spent on pedals simply to stack them to actually derive a tone they find acceptable, it makes me nuts. How about improving your technique...and maybe a better amp.

Jack

It seems like the reason you stack the 2 OCD's is the reason many others stack: the one pedal that will do your stack doesn't exist. It's like 2 timmy's, etc.
I agree that stacking can get silly, but a lot of times, people dig some low gain sound so much that they think putting another one of the same thing next to it would be twice as good with 3 different sounds.

Some pedals are stackin' studs like the OCD, timmy, Honeybee. They want to stack, so it's not like you're gonna be on this epic quest looking for things to stack.

I would not want to stack 2 Klons at a price of $1000 regardless of how well they stack. I've got financial limits to my stacking.

this1smyne

i don't know, i like stacking my pedals, i can get a lot of diverse tones.... granted my fingers suck, and my amps suck too (badcat, stulce, vintage fender, reg fender) and i don't know what i'm doing, but stacking makes it all nirvana.... and i mean the state of mind not the band

Brian Scherzer

Staff member
Wouldn't anyone prefer just a single pedal to achieve the same effect as stacking? Buying multiple $$$ "boutique" pedals to stack to achieve your "ultimate" tone seems crazy to me. I set this at 3/4 into this at 2/3 then into this at 15/16...what's that all about? Isn't it time people started investigating their fingers and technique?

Personally...I will stack 2 OD's simply because I feel most distortion pedals suck. After 25 years playing, I haven't found a distortion pedal that has any real character. but when I hear players talking about the ridiculous $$$ they spent on pedals simply to stack them to actually derive a tone they find acceptable, it makes me nuts. How about improving your technique...and maybe a better amp.
Seems like a topic determined to start a battle. You ARE on the Gear Page. No?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member

Amps, of course, stack the gain stages allowing overdrive to various degrees in the different stages.
Running a pedal outside the amp then stacks its gain characteristics on the amp's even if either is running clean.
Stacking od's or boosts, just opens up option and possibilities to the user.
If your amp has nailed all your preferred tones, it makes life easier, but the range of what people consider to be good is wide and sometimes baffling.

redpill

I think there's reason to be cautions with "stacking" in front of an amp. You can process your signal all to hell. I have heard a few such tones that sounded, IMO, flat out bad, particularly considering the $$$ spent. That said, there's virtually no approach which by definition is wrong. Get your sound your way. Leave everybody else alone. Seriously, is that hard?

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
The only reason I've ever found for stacking is to go from rhythm to lead for a solo. Since picking one note is going to sound thinner and be quieter and less distorted I like to make the sound I'm getting thicker and louder so leads cut through. I've found dual od pedals or 2 separate od's to work best so You can control the gain and volume of each sound independantly.

I can understand the original posters question, and will take it on the surface. I personally stack since I like using clean one channel amps and then adding varying degrees of grit. Sometimes it can bring me from clean (no pedals) to light gain, to crunch to lead (maybe not that many stages.). Is this right, wrong or just different I don't know, but I like the tone that I get.

If I set two low to mid gain pedals, (or pedals SET to low or mid gain) then the combinations are greater than if I had to dedicate one to higher gain instead of stacking. I usually keep enough drives on board to do what I want for the best sound.

So to summarize, stacking for me is each options and achieving tones I cannot seem to achieve from single pedals.

. . .what makes you think people can't search for their particular tone and work their technique as well??? Stacking pedals is like designing your own gain stages in a multiple stage amp (like someone posted above).

Yes, it can get a bit "fiddly," but put it in it's own loop and one footswitch can take you from "clean" to "the tone you hear in your head. . ." and if you're in a situation where you have to use a strange amp, you still have your set up and just have to deal with getting a clean tone.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Some pedals are stackin' studs like the OCD, timmy, Honeybee. They want to stack, so it's not like you're gonna be on this epic quest looking for things to stack.
I agree- I usually stack my OCD w/ either a Blue Boy Deluxe or Germania and I get much better tones that way than out of any single distortion unit that I've ever tried. Whatever works, works.

alvarete

What's the question here? If one pedal gets you there, you're set. If two stacked pedals get you there, you're set. What "there" is varies from player to player. Pedals, like techniques, are tools. You use your tools you have to get the results you want. Or are we picking on those that have more money to spend on pedals?
:mob

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I've stacked pedals before but not a lot, right now I use just 1 pedal the Tonebone Hollywood and it does not need any stacking it can be used as a light OD or heavy distortion, this pedal also alows me to use my guitars volume knob for many shades of drive so its like I'm not even using a pedal I can just leave it on!

madscientist

I don't buy pedals specifically to stack, but if they happen to stack well with others, then it's a bonus and I'll stack them.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member

Maybe you're just too emotionally invested in what other people do. Terms like "makes me crazy" and "makes me nuts" lead me to think you worry too much about other people... or even worse, you want to control them.

Like the other guy said, maybe you need a vacation.

aziltz

i thought most people stack to A: create their own unique tone, and/or B: because cascaded stages usually sound the best.

Trending Topics