Stacking Drives Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sbrutledge, Feb 24, 2015.

1. sbrutledge

sbrutledge Member

hello,

I currently stack a voodoo labs sparkle drive, an ibanez Ts9, and a seymour duncan booster pedal.

I play contemporary worship music and always having problems stacking these three gains with my Vox AC15 in order to get good tones....

Any advice on these for stacking? signal chain?

thanks!

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

depends on how you use them.

for example, if one is dedicated "solo boost" it should go last.

3. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

You might want to try posting this in the pedals forum: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4

In the meantime, I don't have experience with these 3 particular pedals, but the conventional wisdom is to put lower gain before higher gain in the signal chain. However it's important to experiment with different orders and see what sounds best to you.

I think there are lots of TGP members who play Praise and Worship (P&W) and they'll probably have good advice for getting good tones.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I stacked Big Muffs when I was 15.

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I have no hands on experience with the Sparkledrive, but generally I've found that when stacking the clearest drive goes first and a midboosting one later.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

7. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Sparkle drive is a TS circuit with a clean blend. A lot of people don't like even a single tubescreamer into an AC30/AC15 because both the pedal and the amp have a lot of midrange accentuation. Doubling up the TS pedals seems like an even more problematic scenario.

8. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

^ I had this problem when I owned an ac30. However, my stacking order is usually: 'always on' drive in the middle, secondary drive first so that it pushes more saturation into the main pedal, and volume boosting pedal last.

9. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

the only issue I ever had with gain stacking is that its impossible to go from ultra-drive to super clean. You'd have to turn off at least two pedals at once... unless you had them all in a true-bypass looper.

10. taez555

taez555 Member

When stacking three or more drive pedals, the key is to keep the gain low at first and ride 'em. Using the last pedal in chain as boost with the tone coming in the front end.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the "that's one too many Tubescreamers" crowd. Into a Vox, I like at least one OD with less mid-push. The best deal right now is still the Timmy: $129 direct from PaulC and you can sell it for the same price tomorrow if you don't like it. I'd then set it up with the Timmy nearly clean first and the Sparkle Drive second, set for medium gain. Then when they're both on you've got a singing lead tone, maybe set the boost pedal up last so you've got a way to bump things up for solos.

12. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

`good advice i arely stack overdrives but now i know how to do so if required thanks

13. sbrutledge

sbrutledge Member

thanks for the feedback!