Stacking drives question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sbrutledge, Feb 25, 2015.

1. sbrutledge

sbrutledge Member

hello,

I currently stack a voodoo labs sparkle drive, an ibanez Ts9, and a seymour duncan booster pedal.

I play contemporary worship music and always having problems stacking these three gains with my Vox AC15 in order to get good tones....

Any advice on these for stacking? signal chain?

thanks!

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

3. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I'd try TS9>Sparke Drive>Booster. Sparkle Drive as layer one, then hit with the TS9 for more gain and the SD Booster to boost the amp.

Not a fan of TS9 and Vox amps tho, too much mids going on.

But as a general rule try and lower the gain a bit than when you'd use them by themselves.

4. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Depends on how high you set the gain for each drive. I advise trying going from high to low gain.

5. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

How about putting the Sparkle Drive last so that you can use the Clean Blend feature to remove some of the pedal's inherent mids when stacking with the TS9? just a suggestion; dunno if that will work out favorably for you...

6. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

you do not need a new amp to make this work what so ever. The TS9 with a vox isnt usually a great pairing but you should be able to make it work id you put it into the sparkle drive and only use it to boost said sparkle drive. Whats the problem you are having? Too bright? Too Flubby?

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

What don't you like about the tone you are getting?

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Isn't the Sparkle drive a modded TS? Maybe your stacking is too much mid hump with an AC15 that is already present on the mids.

9. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

You're stacking three overdrives?

In my experience, especially for P&W, stacking three overdrives will just create unneeded noise and compression. If you need three overdrives stacked to get a good drive tone, you should look into another amp or pedals that suit your amp more. If you're looking for added sustain, look into putting a medium gain fuzz in front of the ODs. This will give you added drive and sustain, but won't boost your mids, depending on the fuzz. Most don't.

There are no rules to this, so take this with a shaker of salt.

10. Dubious

Dubious Member

im not a fan of stacking - way to noisey / uncontrollable.

i prefer to run good quality drives that cleanup well with my volume nob. I then set each pedal to its max gain - or slightly less if there's a sweet spot.

Each drive pedal i have has a unique "flavor" so i can pretty much pick and choose from them and run it for the whole song and with my volume knob get semi dirt to lead out of each.