• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stacking light overdrives?

fooby

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences stacking two light overdrives? I'm interested in purchasing an EM-Drive or a Timmy, but I watched a video where they were stacked, and really loved the sound! Is there still potential to get pretty heavy overdrive when combined, or is it more to do with how the tone is effected when combined? I'm not really sure how stacking works.

whackystrings

When you consider stacking, the entire chain needs to be thought out.
Certain drives match amps nicer than other drives.
The challenge with stacking combinations is that there is no singular correct answer. Now it becomes an ingredient in a recipe. One drive unit in line before another will give you one sound, while exchanging their order in the signal chain will do something else.
If you have a light-to-med OD unit, then sometimes a booster pedal will get you to where you want...now the choice is to either put the boost in front of the OD and juice it up for a tougher sounding drive or do you put it after for more of a volume+EQ shaping.
Now, if you factor in another OD pedal in place of the booster pedal I mentioned, the tweaking possibilities are far more varied.
At the moment, I am going TS808HW>Barber LTD-SR>Xotic EP booster. I don't have a dedicated high gain pedal on my board at the moment so stacking these gets me in the neighbourhood when required. Bad combinations or pedal settings for me is when the sound becomes too congested and sounds like an overly saturated $50 solid state practice amp
Experimentation is a must. Stacking is a bit of science and bit of art. And loads of fun for Geordies and Canucks alike!

rufe

you can certainly get some higher overdrive sounds out of that combo! the em drive isn't going to get too overdriven, but its a good base. the timmy is more then able to get gain-y, and with it's good eq controls, you should be able to make up for any super loud highend with the em-drive (what I found with it). my whole sound is based on stacking light overdrives, so its absolutely possible, and it sounds like you got a good combo in mind!

rufe

it also depends on your amp type and its wattage. im typically pushing lower wattage amps (18-30) into their own overdrive as well.

Heady Jam Fan

I stack drives all the time.

Boost>TS, Rat or Boost
TS>TS, Rat or Boost

Sometimes even:
Boost>TS or Rat>Boost
TS>TS or Rat>Boost

Your more likely to get a bit of noise stacking than just turning one drive up, but stacking also sounds great and can be more versatile. Gotta try it to see if it works for you!

Joe Porto

I prefer stacking 2 low OD pedals to get a high gain sound. It gives you more control of the overall response. The Wampler Dual Fusion is a Paisley OD and Euphoria in one pedal. Both light OD pedals but when stacked, get you a very smooth saturated tone.

I will run a Charlie Brown (JTM in a box) with a TS 808 clone in front. When the 808 is off, I get a classic 70's OD tone, and when I hit it with the 808, I get saturated OD that remains punchy and articulate. But mainly, stacking gives you a lot of control, as you will have pre and post gain and tone control to really shape your tone.

Last edited:

jordane93

I stack a VFE Blues King (gain around 9 o clock) into a Timmy (gain at noon) for a gain/volume boost and a crunchy rhythm tone. Just remember the pedal that is further in your chain will be the sound that will take over your tone.

slap_back05

I moved from individual dirt sounds to stacking about 8 years ago and obviously prefer it. I have a lot of dirt that works well with my amps (UK AC15, Blues Jr. and PRRI) and I switch stuff around based on the EQ flavors/amount of gain I need.

My two base pedals (on the board 99% of the time) are a Fulldrive and Timmy. I usually have two others that rotate from the shelf: Morning Glory, Voyager, Honey Bee, Box of Rock, and another King of Tone on the way. I tried the Em Drive and found it didn't really do much as another gain stage, and that it was more of an always-on tone shaper.

I stack from most EQ change to least, so an example (my current order) would be:

Fulldrive > Morning Glory > Honey Bee > Timmy

This usually ends up being ordered from most to least gain as well, though all are set for relatively low gain and drive the amp more than they add for the most part.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom