stacking OD/dist. w/fuzz pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr.blacksummer, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

looking for peoples discoveries and opinions...
    I use 2 fuzzes currently; fuzz factory, and soul-bender.
    both are at the front of my chain (fuzz factory then soulbender...then the rest)
    I use a HBE Big D, which sounds great, and I often use it on a lot...for the low gain sizzle thing. although it doesn't do the fuzz pedals any justice when I engage them with the Big D on...although, thats what I would like to do because of changes in our songs...trying to reduce the pedal tap dance (turning off the BigD and turning on the fuzz...then doing the reverse to get back to square 1)
    my question is: has anybody had any luck stacking OD/dist. pedals with these (or other) fuzz pedals?
    which OD or Dist.? and/with which fuzzes?
    thanks!

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Just in general, keeping an OD relatively clean and placing it after the fuzz should be a recipe for success. Tweak to taste, of course. I probably would not have a distortion and a fuzz on at the same time...

3. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

yeah..I hear ya.
    fuzzes almost always sound best on their own...pure...and angry!
    just want to see if there's a specific combo thats worked majik for anyone.

4. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Have you tried putting the od before the fuzz? It might not affect the fuzz too much if it's a true bypass pedal. My Wattson superfuzz sounds really great with an OD before it.

5. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

I really haven't- because of the buffer issue with the wha...and I have a comp that I use with OD...if I move the OD before the fuzz, then I have to move the comp..then I'm just really dicombobulating the whole chain...it seems like a bit of a maze to re-navigate the chain to accomodate this issue..then again, I guess thats what we do here at TGP:crazy

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

My favorite combo is fuzz into a dirty boost (I don't use OD or distortion these days...) The dirty boost is my foundation tone, and then I kick in the fuzz on top of it. Total hugeness!

If you're intrigued, the EH LPB-1 is a perfect entry-level dirty boost at about $40...

7. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

One of my favorite fuzz sounds is a stock Fuzz Face being boosted by a Rangemaster. Using boosters in front of fuzz is a good trick to get some great intensity and sustain. Funny that you mention the Fuzz Factory, because that's basically what it is; a Fuzz Face with a simple booster in front of it with a bunch of extra knobs added.

An overdrive set to a clean-to-dirty-ish boost would probably do wonders with a fuzz.

8. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Interesting - I always use a distortion/od pedal after my fuzz. That makes the fuzz even more fuzzy and cotton-like.

9. starfly59

starfly59 Member

I use a fuzz factory into my box of rock all the time and it sounds great. In fact, I wonder if the BoR was designed to sound good stacked with the fuzz factory. the box of rock makes the fuzz factory thicker and darker. very cool.

10. Alter

Alter Member

germanium fuzz + rc booster for me. the rc booster is quite clean though, so it just pushes the sound a little

11. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I agree that fuzzes sound best on their own.
    That said, if an OD is to be used, it has to be in front of the fuzz for me. I know that most folks do the opposite, but that has never worked for me.

No need to mention that it's a matter of personal taste of course.

12. gravy

gravy Member

reconfigure for awhile w/o the wah/ comp-maybe even put in a separate loop. been getting great results using a silicon fuzz after 2 tb pedals in front.
    running a bone bender-cot50-morph fuzz. i use humbuckers with this setup.
    very gtr vol pot sensitive which is a plus for me. instead of tap dancing i
    adjust my gtr vol.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I like to stack dirt boxes and even boost pedals with dirt boxes but I've had little to no luck stacking dirt boxes and fuzz boxes...I bought a Loop-Master switcher box for my set up...it's got 2 loops, I put a dirt box in one loop and a fuzz in the other loop and with one footswitch I can switch active loops and it also has a master bypass so I can have neither on. This way I can switch from a dirt box to a fuzz box with one stomp!

14. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

I've got a KR The Fuzz and it is a little shrill with my amp. I finally got my Tim/Timmy and with the tone shaping they have it has transformed The Fuzz. With the Tim after it I finally feel I'm getting to use what the KR pedal really is.

15. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

hey thanks fellas...
    very informative..
    much appreciated.
    haven't seen many (if any) threads talking about this...
    but for us fuzz heads its a major issue...or point of topic.
    most intrigued by starfly59's comment about the BoR with the FuzzFactory...
    might have to pick one up.
    cheers!
    scott

16. vinceman

vinceman Member

I use a fulltone '69 mainly because it stacks well with ODs.
    I have sold my AM sunface because of that. It did not like other dirtboxes at all.

the 69 stacks well with Bad monkey, OCD, or LPB1 (into a 18watter).

I also love it in the crunch channel of my Marshall 2555SL. Sounds more like a distortion, depending on your settings)

17. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

I'll often run two or three fuzz and distortion pedals into each other purely to create nasty noise and feedback

18. spentron

spentron Member

It's not just a matter of taste, depends on the boxes in question. First you have to realize, though, many overdrives are as much EQs as dirt makers. Anything like that you put after fuzz is going to radically change the sound. As well known, a TS is highly midrange, with extreme treble smoothing and low bass gain. But even metal pedals will tend to smooth off the top -- can be good at lowgain. Even a Muff is very EQ-based and will kill the high end and substitute its own, just like it does to everything else. A Rat, D+ or Supra might let through the highs unscathed, but there's still a bass gain cut.

Dirt before fuzz, things become more unpredictable but can be as severe. A disadvantage there is the dynamics of the fuzz, if it is dynamically responsive it will have less to work with. If it is sensitive enough, it might benefit from everything coming in being within this window of greatest sensitivity. I also got some nice results with compression before a fuzz. In thuis case the peaks were pretty much disintegrating, so the attack control on the comp, instead of controlling the speed the level ramps down to compressed, it was more a ramp up, as swelling attack.