Stacking OD's..At what point do they lose pizazz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by harpinon, Mar 2, 2012.

1. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I was messing around and was just not finding the tone I was after.
    I did some swapping around. I used to use my Barber 1/2 gainer for my always on drive, but it wasn't cutting it anymore. I pulled it (replaced with Timmy) and thought of ditching it until I tried it alone. Aaah. There's the tone I fell in love with. (I stacked 4 drives on this board)
    Stacking OD pedals can be great, but also can be a detriment.
    Comments or stories???

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, I don't think I really like stacking drives anymore. I've gotten rid of all my ODs except a Wampler Black 65. But I've got a Holy Fire incoming, we shall see.

3. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I can only deal with two on at a time. The possibilities with my arsenal are far from exhausted. Im a "less is more" guy with 20 dirt pedals and only 5 spaces on his board. The possible stacking combos are enough to last the rest of my life. I need to sell something....

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

Oh yeah, mostly I hate stacking overdrives. You're just kind of piling compression upon compression and often mid boost or bass cut upon midboost or bass cut. You just wind up with a small, compressed, muddy, middy sound. A rangemaster style dirty boost into an OD can work for me. And I've had good success with a Barber Low Gain Direct Drive after another OD as a solo boost. But mostly I try to avoid stacking all together. To me an OD pedal is a kind of compromise anyway, not something I base my tone around.

5. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I think four is the limit, just one for me. I saw a pedalboard pic here of three Fulldrive's together, ha!

6. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

All depends on the drives you are stacking, what kind of pickups you are sing (singles vs humbuckers vs actives) and the amp you are running them into. I've had drives that can't stack at all, and others that sound really good.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I never cared much for this. I guess I can see the appeal if you are using two low gain drives but I never really went that route. Even when I tried stacking two TS-9s I preferred using a modded higher gain single TS-9 instead.

8. KBN

KBN Member

Yeah, two is about the limit unless I am going for insanity for a moment. I generally like boosts into overdrives more than overdrives into overdrives, LPB-1 being my favorite. However, I have found that a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine stacking into other drives makes me happy.

9. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Stacking was sure a disappointment to me. While it may sound ok/good at home, or maybe even rehearsal, stacking can really be that "squealing like a stuck pig" deal live. I've tried several combinations and mostly got more noise, over compression, and instant feedback the second you stop playing.

I've found 1 really good drive with a boost for some solos worked much better for me, but YMMV. Check it out for yourself.

10. cugel

cugel Member

i have only had good luck with a few stacks. the best i found is a klon klone into a hotcake clone.

11. justonwo

justonwo Member

I don't go for most stacks as they usually result in a compressed, muddy mess. Boosters and treble boosters are mostly what I use in combination with other pedals. Occasionally, I will find two ODs that like each other but I'm not usually a big fan.