stacking overdrive pedal > distortion pedal > power tube saturation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by diegs, Sep 19, 2006.

1. diegs

diegs Member

hey,

i'm trying to create a stacked gain stage. i am currently thinking TS-type pedal > distortion-type pedal > cranked amp.

i'm running a 22w mesa studio .22+ (el84), so at stage volume i will definitely be pushing the power section. i only use the clean channel of this amp. my plan is to dime the master volume and set the pre-amp volume right before clipping. the TS will push my amp into crunch for rhythm stuff, then the distortion will add on top for leads. does this make sense?

thanks for your help! i'm trying to get this right the first time :)

2. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Makes perfect sense, pretty much the way I like to run things, with a totally different rig than yours, though...

3. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Looks good. With the distortion side of things you'll be surprised at the small amount of gain that you need to make things realy cook when you've already got the output stage working. Specialy with EL84's. Also with the distortion level turned down to a point where it sounds great you can then boost the distortion by kicking the TS into the front of it. It all depends on the pedals you use but this approach is a fantastic way to get good tone. It's ALL about the way these pedals interact with the OUTPUT stage when it's working hard. That's the way Jimi, SRV, everyone I wanted to sound like when I grew up did it, and if it worked for them!!!

4. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

At low levels, I personally prefer to use heavier gain peds (distortion or fuzz) INTO lighter gain pedal (OD), not after, to achieve leads or over the top crunch

5. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I agree.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I really like running a clean boost into a looser, very dynamic OD (with lot's of control flexibility) and then into a smoother, warmer, slightly more compressed lower gain OD.

The clean boost really pushes the dynamic OD, and yet, it still cleans up well. This helps to mantain your dynamic articulation.

Brett

7. diegs

diegs Member

thanks for all the help. i ended up deciding on an mi audio blues pro and crunchbox to start. it's kind of risky since the crunchbox is pretty high gain, but i have heard good things and at least it will give me a baseline from which i can change stuff up.

thanks again! i'll post my impressions once the gear gets here :AOK
    diego

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

9. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

I have a Keeley MT-2, DS-1 and SD-1 and run them in that order (but not all at once!).
    The DS-1 stacked with the SD-1 adds just enough dirt to the smoother SD-1 tone...IMO.

Tim