Stacking speaker cabs

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by otherone, Dec 8, 2016.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

what are the benefits of stacking a 2x10 cab on top of a 4x10 cab vs stacking the 4x10 cab on top of the 2x10 cab? Is there a preferred way?

2. G Man

G Man Member

In your scenario of all 10s, I wouldn't think it would make much difference, although if you want to just grab the 2x10 for a quick jam or rehearsal it would be a lot easier to have it on top. With different speaker sizes it might make more of a difference. I stack my 1x15 underneath my 4x10, haven't tried it the other way around, so can't say if there would be a big tonal difference or not.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

They say to stack vertically. Primarily I suppose to bring the speakers up closer to ear level. As to which of your cabs to put on the floor, it doesn't matter.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The primary benefit is not having to lift the 4x10.

5. royd

royd Member

just remember that if the two cabs are the same number of ohms, the 210 will get twice the wattage per speaker. Also if the 410 is 4 ohms and the 210 is 8, the speakers will get the same amount of power per speaker but you'll be pushing 2.67 ohms from your head so be sure it can handle that.

Burwabit and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. sprag

sprag Member

This. if its the first scenario you would put the 210 on top, you are more likely to hear it struggling if you push it too hard - assuming the driver wattages are in the same ball park

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1 to the power mismatch problem if they're both 8Ω cabs, the 2x10 will run out before the 4x10 gets going.

also, if it's not a totally square 2x10, put it on top tallways to get extra height out of it.

really though, a better solution might be to ditch the 4x10 for another matching 2x10; the vertical stack will be perfectly balanced and plenty powerful.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

My OCD says it is best to stack the heaviest cabinet at the bottom and the lighter cabinets going up.
    Please do not take this as advice as much as insight into what it's like inside my brain. :p

9. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

When I had a 1x15 and 2x10, I always out the 2x10 on top cause it reminded me more of a sexy lady. No other reason.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  10. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Member

LOL I just bought a 210 and a 115 for a back up rig the other day. I was sitting on my couch looking at it and that was the first thing I thought 8 O haha

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Unless your amp does bi-amp. To me it's still not preferable, but if you can control the output of both sides you can balance it out fairly close. I got away from multiple cabs long ago. I like one really big cab. That's just me.

walterw likes this.
  12. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I'm not a huge fan of mixed cabs anymore--I prefer matching cabs or single cab use.
    I used to mix a 4 ohm Genz Benz 210XB with an 8 ohm Ampeg 410HE and they magically worked very well together. I ran each cab on it's own channel of a power amp. Visually, the Ampeg fit better on top of the deeper and wider GB cab. Sonically, they were pretty equivalent in output and such, so there needn't be any adjustments there, either.
    When I got rid of the GB cab and picked up an 8 ohm Ampeg 210HE, I had to change everything up. Despite looking nice together, these cabs didn't match as well. The 210HE fit better on top of the 410, the 210 pooped out sooner than the 410, so I wanted it closer to my ears to catch that sooner. I had to run the 210 channel a little lower than the 410 channel.

13. rummy

rummy Member

Same. I don't like to mix and match.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  14. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

but knocked up? ;)