Stacking the AC Booster with...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Hi all, I've gone back and forth on the AC Booster, and I've decided to hang on to it rather than selling it. I really like the sound of the AC, great as a low gain bluesy drive, but I would love to see which pedals might complement it for a more versatile sound, as I have very little previous experience with stacking overdrives.

Watching a few vids on this, most notably the very helpful That Pedal Show, it seems logical to pair a somewhat middy pedal like the AC with something a little more like, say, a Soul Food or similar lower gain, Klon-inspired pedals. Norway's not the best country for boutique pedals, so you won't find a lot of those used, but the Soul Food's very popular around here.

Anyone tried this, and if so, what were your thoughts?

(I'm currently running my pedals through a tiny 1W Marshall combo, so the amp will hopefully be replaced with one with more clean headroom in the near future. Should facilitate drive pedals better, since I can't crank this thing anyway.)

2. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

When I had one, I liked it with an OCD or a Spark Booster.

You probably already know this, but to bring out the mids in the AC, you cut the bass and treble way down.

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

4. Yngtchie Blacksteen

I've got the Hustle Drive by Mooer, and while it may not be a 100% replica of the OCD, its overall character really didn't work for me. I found it fizzy, although it did work well for big rock riffs. I'm no big riffer, so that won't be an issue.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Also, to those responding, please say a little more about the sounds you've experienced when using the pedal you mention. Just naming dozens of pedals doesn't help me all that much...

5. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

When I stack drives, I keep the gain lower. More fat and volume, less fizz. At least with my stuff.
    I prefer fat and thick with clarity over real high gain, though. The OCD does that well for me. Used as a booster, I mean.

My favorites are my old DOD FX10,or the new 410 reissue. With my el84 Mesa, either one is about all I need.
    I mentioned the Spark because if you want to boost the mids on another drive, it's very effective.

6. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Ah, I get it. I haven't tried the Spark, but I've only heard good things. I know a lot of people are using the RC Booster with the AC, which I guess is its most natural counterpart, and I do see myself going with a lower gain pedal.

7. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Is the EM-Drive one that could work for such use, or is it limited by its two controls? Only seen some clips, and it looks like a typically Gear Page-y pedal.

8. colbys1019

colbys1019 Member

Stack it with a Xotic RC Booster!! No Doubt one of the best sounds I have ever heard!! A real fat sound that produces some awesome harmonics. Here is some videos of Allen Hinds demoing them together with a strat and a Les Paul. An Xotic EP Booster is a good pedal to stack before or after. I attached a video demo of that as well.

STRAT

Les Pual

EP Booster

9. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yeah, I love those Allen Hinds vids. RC looks like a great option. I'm a little torn between adding a lower gain drive, and a higher gain drive. Knowing myself, I'd be missing some higher gain since I'm a fan of '80s hard rock guys like Gary Moore and John Norum, as well as Malmsteen, Gilbert, those guys.

How would you stack it with the AC? Before or after? I noticed a new one in a local guitar store, might check that out tomorrow.

10. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I am a big fan of the AC Booster and I've found the most versatile stacking to be with a Klon-type pedal, like you said. I use a Rockett Archer IKON. The nice thing about this is you can set the Klone to be just a boost, to just fatten things up, give a bit more gain, and more volume ... OR you can set the Klone gain nob to 1-3 o'clock and really get significantly more gain. Great combo IMO. Then I also have a RAT-type pedal for high gain stuff (I like the cheap Mooer Black Secret).

11. Yngtchie Blacksteen

I've got the Black Secret myself, and I currently have it before the AC. Gives a cool compressed lead tone, but I hope to get my hands on something more in the line of the BB or similar. BBP MB looks like such a perfect choice, now that I think about it, since I love doing the full throttle Kee Marcello thing and just wail.

Not that I won't try out a cleaner option, if I get the chance. At the end of the day, the limitation is more in the way you play than in how much gain you've got.