Stage banter amongst the band.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pax, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

You occasionally see band members making a comment during or between songs. Mostly just directions or information, but sometimes more interesting.

What is the funniest or most interesting thing a bandmate has said to you or another bandmate while on stage? Just curious.

2. CDP

CDP Member

Said the drummer to the guitarist:

"Did you see the arse on the lady in the purple dress at the bar?"

Yes, as it turned out actually I had noticed :)

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

In my opinion, nothing says amateur hour more than stage banter. Unless you're Bono at Red Rocks, but he earned it.

4. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Color me amateur.

5. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Context. If you are playing folk music (for example), it's expected.

Peace,

6. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

1:38 "I'm Tired".

7. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Bass player at end of song: "I thought it was a fart, I need a wash and some clean undies!"

8. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Yeah, musicians talking to each other on stage is so unprofessional. Get off your high horse. Watch any of the greats and you see them communicate with their mates on stage. Part of making good music is having a good time doing it.

I think "staged" stage banter is cheesy, like the stuff Kiss does, but saying "great solo" to your band mate between songs is not amateur hour.

9. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Having a hard time relating this comment to the theme of the op's post - he's asking about anything a fellow bandmate might have said, which to my mind includes a TON of situations that the audience would never even be made aware of.

...and since CDP mentioned the lovely term "arses", Bono can kiss mine.

10. gigs

gigs Member

Having fun is part of playing live music. When it stops being fun, I'll quit doing it.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I don't see why it matters, as long as it's not the center of attention and none of the mics pick it up.

I see pros doing it all the time, and I always wonder what they are saying, especially when it makes them laugh.

12. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Yeah. Usually this.

13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Right. Sorry to have helped derail.

My trio had a gig last weekend and I've been suffering with a cold, allergies and various nastiness for the better part of a month. So my voice was a little ... ragged. After singing lead on a song, our other guitar player said to the crowd, "Let's hear it for Brenda Viccaro!"

Laughs all around.

Peace,

14. SteveO

SteveO Member

Drummer to me one night:

"You tell that stupid f*** (the bass player) that if he does that trilly thing again I'm gonna shove both of my sticks up his ass!"

Me to bass player:

"Hey, man, Steve said you shouldn't do that that trilly thing tonight, it throws him off".

I was often the "go between" with those guys, and I think part of my job was keeping the onstage violence to a minimum.

15. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Drummer to me:

"Jonny, I've been playing drums for twenty years and I'm sick and tired of looking at guitar players' asses."

16. htm62

htm62 Member

Don't know if it qualifies as banter, but our bass player can fart and you can hear it over the instruments.....and he must shart every time, he smells like a goat cage.

17. monty

monty Member

"sh!t, they booked us on gay night"
    True story, I didn't even notice until then, lol.

18. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

"Hey man did you know your zipper is down"?

Bass player to me a few years ago. Was towards the end of the night. I played most the night with my zipper down.

19. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Are you telling me you've never seen a entertainer that had a great gift of gab, or was a great story teller between songs?
    That is a rare exceptional talent to have, and can take a band to a next level.

Some are so good that it is a big part of what makes them pro, the opposite of amateur I might ad.

Shows how different we all are regarding our ideas of real entertainers.

Back to the OP,

I used to play in a Punk band ages ago and when we took to long between songs, the wound up drummer would start yelling at us, He'd scream, Play It Ass**le!

20. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Member

Listen to the Beatles live stuff..John was completely off the wall funny with the crowd even back in the Hamburg days. He was doing a vague Hitler type character to get the people focused on them. Wild. I must say that the between song comments or funny voices always made the songs work well..or at least for me. If you can get them to listen or laugh then you are doing it right. In the USA John would often bark at the crowd in a Scottish type voice. The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl even has a few memorable 'banter' type moments between the band that I really love. Some do it very well..even the Blues Brothers comments between songs become the stuff that you quote afterwards. Part of the act if you can do it, even if you get the crowd to buy another drink perhaps.