Stage clothing: Where do you guys buy from?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Outlier, May 5, 2018.

1. MGT

MGT Member

Don't know those boots but I have some seriously cool shoes from Jo Ghost.

frennis likes this.
  2. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I'm still wearing clothes handed down by my big brother.

3. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The foot.....!

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I want to get a cool pair of boots. :idea

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

How are you guys playing 2-3 hour gigs in cowboy boots? I need super comfortable shoes. Like black sneakers.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Brands like Ariat are really comfortable. Mine have a narrow square toe (not the big godawful duck feet square toes) and a riding heel and they're comfortable all day. These are alot like the ones I have. Quite a few upgrades from old school cowboy boots.

http://www.ariat.com/P16014_M_FOO.html?dwvar_P16014__M__FOO_color=BROWN_OILED_ROWDY

8. frennis

frennis Member

Well we're almost opposite. I'm tall/skinny,with almost no ass, but I do have skinny legs...I may have to check out Audley Freed's stylist...

MGT and 27sauce like this.
  9. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Absolutely, he's got it figured out. Lucky, he can wear those long tail H bar C shirts, where I end up looking like Jonah Hill in Superbad

frennis likes this.
  10. Neenja

Neenja Member

11. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I find cowboy boots (at least the ones I buy) to be very comfortable. They're my daily (all day) wear. Generally Tony Lamas.

TB72 and 27sauce like this.
  12. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

'overeducated'? Sorry, but I want to know what that means. Has education become a bad thing?

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

And when did education become relevant to musicianship or even coolness? I guess Brian May sucks because he has a PHD in astrophysics.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  14. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Dress for the gig you want.

27sauce and tdh like this.
  15. Bankston

Bankston Member

I can offer no good style advice. I still wear Doc Martens, black Dickies and a sleeveless work shirt on stage. Sometimes, I'll dress it up and wear a shirt with sleeves.

16. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Lordy Mama light my fuse

Got those - rubber sole makes them practical.
    Leather soles are damned slippery.

17. Mayfield

Mayfield Silver Supporting Member

Really interesting thread to read through! Lots of good advice...

If this helps at all, which it might not....just my two cents.

I came up during the thrash, hair metal into grunge days. We wore on stage mostly what we wore during the day, although those items were only worn on stage as stage gear, which was ripped jeans, a black to shirt, and high tops. That was thrash, and that was that time. We never went hair metal so we always wore a lot of black, added leather jackets, etc. As we started to make some money, we actually owned some custom Ray Brown leathers and a few accessories. As grunge took over, our band evolved, but did not go full grunge. I never, and have never, worn shorts on stage. Just not my thing.

As I came back into the music scene about 10 years ago, I was shocked at how no one put any effort. Only a few pop party bands had an actually pro image and a 50's 60's class party band that all wore the same style jackets. If I am at a bar or club and see a band with their Mom jeans, a ratty t shirt and NO effort to pick clothes that fit their body style, I am out. I literally don't care how good they are because they are sending the message that they could care less about the audience and being a pro band. Its insulting. Wear clothes that separate you from the audience. Period.

I am in two bands currently, and we have this battle all of the time. One band is a party band. We play everything, and have two lead singers. One lead singer has a great image, the other none. We are constantly battling to help him up his image game Find what fits your personal style, mold it to the band's image a bit and be done with it. Simple.

Now for my second band, that is just getting off the ground, it has a clearly defined image. We are a greasy rock band. We have a female lead singer and a female drummer. Both of which are STELLAR musicians and also look great. We have all agreed to LOOK like a greasy rock band. So we have some clothes from Wornstar (not the D bag looking Affliction stuff), stuff from Forgotten Saints in LA, I still have a pair of Ray Brown leathers that I still fit in thank god. Etc. But we are very aware of our age, our body types etc, so we are not trying to look like something we are not. We have some Trash and Vaudeville stuff, etc. I actually talked to Jimmy Webb about our look as the band was forming and he was so incredibly helpful and gave me feedback I never forgot!

He simply said "when people go to see a punk band or a rock band they want to SEE a punk band or a rock band. Not a band full of Dad's playing punk or rock. They want to separate from reality and enjoy a show, not a backyard neighborhood get together. If you are fat, lose some weight. If you can't afford clothes, go to Goodwill. There is no excuse to not put in the effort if you expect an audience to put in the effort to come see you and give you their money"

I don't wear things that make me look like I am trying to look too young, or are for a body type that I am not (I am 6 1 and weigh 215, so I am not super skinny but also not overweight) I am mostly a sleeveless jean jacket, t shirt and either leathers or black jeans that are form fitting, but not crazy tight. I also do the vest look, but not the vest from JCPenny. I have velvet vests and other styles that are a step up, and will throw a thin scarf on as as well. Again, keeping it within what looks good on me and fits our overall vibe. I tend to fall into the Keith Richards meets Hetfield meets Stevie D from Buckcherry, style that works on me best.

This is all just how I was brought up in the scenes I played in and advice I have been given over the decades.

cragginshred and MGT like this.
  18. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

EarleG and 27sauce like this.
  19. sideman

sideman Member

:omg

20. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

I'm considering a pair of these as my first pair of cowboy boots. Do I tuck my tan cargo pants inside? I also tuck my sweat shirt, so I thought I'd keep it consistent. I don't use a belt. Should I? I'm thinking about one with a big, nice belt buckle.

[​IMG]