• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stage Lighting Recommendations?

Mark_All

I'm getting back into playing out with a cover band after years off and wondered if anyone has recommendations for stage lighting. In the old days we used 8 par 64's IIRC, but I'm wondering about how the new LED's compare in strength and quality of lighting and cost.

Looking to spend between $200 and $500 for now, preferable on a rig that I could add lights and features to later.

Also wondering about using speaker stands for them rather than a truss so they could be far apart and in front of us, lighting us from the front.

Any thoughts appreciated!

sryangtr

Our bass player has a bunch of the LED lights and lemmie tell ya, they are nice! Plenty bright with lots of color options and so much cooler to have to stand under and play vs the old PAR cans. Much lighter and easy to manage, too. We can pack up the entire light system and pack it into the back seat of his pickup truck. We use the speaker type tripod stands and have never had any trouble.

imaxeman69

Our bass player has a bunch of the LED lights and lemmie tell ya, they are nice! Plenty bright with lots of color options and so much cooler to have to stand under and play vs the old PAR cans. Much lighter and easy to manage, too. We can pack up the entire light system and pack it into the back seat of his pickup truck. We use the speaker type tripod stands and have never had any trouble.
+1.. If you can afford them, go for the LEDs.

Mark_All

Thanks, syrangtr and imaxeman69. As long as they're bright enough, the weight and lack of heat and fragility make LED's attractive.

wookyoftheyear

Silver Supporting Member
LEDs are super cool if you can afford them. I haven't done lighting since college (5 years), but the amount of options that you have and the cost barriers dropping are awesome. Dealing with gel scrollers when I did lighting was annoying, lol. What console are you using?

Mark_All

Thanks Stevel, loudboy, and wookyofthe year!

No console, we're just a local cover band doing bars, this will be the first lighting purchase.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom