staggered and level pole pieces

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joolzriff, Feb 17, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

ok,ive got a clapton strat so i guess thats a flatter radius than the vintage 57/62 strats..
    ive been looking at replacement pickups and i think i find a set i want but they come in staggered poles only....!!!
    also what i have read is that flat pole pieces will work much better w/ flater radius fretboards(staggereds being invented for the guitars of the period w/ curved radius).......or is it just OK to throw the staggereds in my clapton cos there isnt much difference and just get on w/ it...
    j

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

What I find listed as specs at Fender is 9-1/2"R. on the Clapton Strat. That's not that much flatter than 7-1/4"R.

I think Fender was making Strat pickups with flat polepieces long before they adopted the 9-1/2"R. fretboard.

IMO staggered Strat pickups are better for the low power vintage style pickups.

3. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Jason Lollar will make them either way but told me he likes the flat poles much better, especially with modern string sets and a flatter radius. I have a set of his Blackface strat pickups and they are flat. Some pickup winders use a hybrid stagger that is more fitting with modern trends. A traditional vintage stagger used with an unwound "G" string set, regardless of the radius, will be out of balance.

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

reason i ask is that i have too much time on my hands on the computer and read such things and i'm about to buy a set of van zandts rocks and they have a wild stagger....how do u email them???

5. LReese

LReese Member

Flat poles should balance better from string to string. I still prefer the staggered just because the non-staggered just does not look right. The different balance does not bother me.

Some pickups have an exaggerated stagger, like Fenders and others, like Duncans are much less extreme.

6. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Staggered poles* are more a design characteristic to compensate for the wound thirds used when these guitars were first made. If you don't use a wound third flatploles are fine for most guitars. On the other hand, that prominent third string is sort of a stratocaster signature tone.

*vintage staggers, some pickups made today have modified staggered poles for the string sets commonly used today.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

plenty of makers do a stagger that actually works for modern strings and fretboard radii. (duncan isn't one of them, and for the life of me i can't understand why.)
    look at fralin's hybrid stagger option, or suhr's v-60, or the dimarzio area series. the idea is to boost the D string a little, as it tends to be the weakest output string on modern string sets.

8. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Better to look good than to sound good?
    BTW, you look maahvelous!