Staggered Tuner/String Tree/Break Angle Question

TheFlyingBear

I have a parts tele with Hipshot locking staggered tuners. There are 3 different heights to the posts.

I'm getting some ringing above the nut that bugs me a little bit. This is mostly a case of the break angle being too shallow, right?

What if I added a string tree to the B and e stings, but then switched those tuning shafts to the tallest ones (which are currently on the E and A), so that I could use shorter posts on the EADG strings? Is this a bad idea for any reason?

TheFlyingBear

I read some old threads where people mentioned that they have done this or something similar, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Flying Bear -

Can you get an assistant to either hold the strings down to mimic the string tree while you play or vice versa, to make sure that will solve the problem? I'm thinking that unless the neck angle is very shallow, the problem, or solution, is in the nut slots - gotta cut those nut slots just right with staggered tuners.

Make sure you press the offending strings down behind the nut to make sure it'll fix the problem before you drill for string trees. I mean, that's the whole point of staggered tuners - to avoid string trees.

I bet you can fix it by carefully adjusting the nut slots.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

TheFlyingBear

Hey Flying Bear -

Can you get an assistant to either hold the strings down to mimic the string tree while you play or vice versa, to make sure that will solve the problem? I'm thinking that unless the neck angle is very shallow, the problem, or solution, is in the nut slots - gotta cut those nut slots just right with staggered tuners.

Make sure you press the offending strings down behind the nut to make sure it'll fix the problem before you drill for string trees. I mean, that's the whole point of staggered tuners - to avoid string trees.

I bet you can fix it by carefully adjusting the nut slots.

Hope this helps, Dana O.
Is there a trick to that? The strings would have to be held down with a piece of metal, string tree (in hand), or something, since the act of holding the strings down with fingers would mute the vibrations behind the nut, so I wouldn't be able to tell. Also, holding the strings at an angle seems difficult at anything near full string tension. I might give it a try on the B and e though to see if I can do it before drilling for the string tree like you said.

I had a pro setup done on the guitar from a good local shop initially, so I'm hoping the nut is cut properly.

I wanted to avoid trees, but I don't think the staggered tuners quite cut it. I'm not popping stings our of the nut slots or anything, so there's enough down force in that regard, it's just the sympathetic ringing behind the nut that I would like to reduce or eliminate. I think the ringing got a little softer with this last string change, because I added a wrap or 2 around some of the offending strings' posts. However, this defeats some of the purpose of the locking tuners. Hopefully the increased angle from the tree on the high e and b, then the shorter tuners on the EADG will get me there.