Stainless Steel frets - anyone refretted theirs yet?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Apr 3, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I'm curious about the lifespan of Stainless Steel frets, how many of you here have refretted your SS-fitted necks and how long did they take the abuse before you refret them?

2. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

I've had my Carvin Carved top for 3 years and it's not even showing at all

3. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Had my Suhr for 3 years now. With, on average, 1hr of playing time a day during that time frame I have yet to notice any wear, whatsoever, of the frets. I like them alot for that!

Steve

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

I have a Warmoth neck with stainless frets on my favorite strat, have had it for like 1.5 years. I play it every day and I don't see any fretwear at all. I usually wear out the nickel frets on regular Fender strats in 6-8 months or so.

5. pennylink

pennylink Member

I too have noticed the nickel frets on my Strat wearing out real fast.

Just curious, do you notice any difference in tone between stainless steel and nickel frets?

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I put stainless frets on my Fool SG. I'll put them on any guitar I refret in the future.

7. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

My Warmoth with SS frets was my #1 for four and a half years. Not a hint of wear on them using nickel plated steel 11s.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Curious, too.

9. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

none whatsoever..... I've only noticed positive things about SS frets... the guitar resonates more... more sustain.. easier to play... great mod in my opinion...:)

10. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I had a Custom Shop BC Rich with SS frets and they are smooth as glass and I dont' have any wear after almost a year

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

My #1 was refretted with SS 6100s about 15 months ago...not a HINT of wear and I play 2-3 gigs a week.

With standard frets I needed a fret job after this amount of time.

12. KHAN

KHAN Member

Just ordered my 3rd Warmoth SS fretted neck. I am looking in to having my tired Am Std Strat necks refretted with stainless. I'll never go back.

13. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I have SS frets on about half of my guitars. The feel is so slick, and there is NO noticeable difference in plugged in tone. I would never order nickel frets if I could choose SS.

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

With SS frets, they feel like teflon when bending. Though I definitely like that trait, it took some getting used to.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think the OP's point was, "has anybody worn out their stainless frets yet?", which i'm also curious about. (oh, and i'm also a fan, to the point that i feel like refretting with regular wire would be ripping off my customers.)

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I have not seen or heard of anyone wearing out a set of SS frets. I have 4 guitars so far with SS frets, and will eventually have them all done.

17. blueslover

blueslover Member

If you think about it, SS frets would be harder than the strings, so in effect, you would be wearing out your strings instead of the other way around. If you play pure nickel strings, I doubt you would ever need a refret, even with huge strings .12's+

18. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

2 guitars with Stainless and no fret wear to this point.

I do hear a little difference in tone, but the only kind of guitar I wouldn't put SS frets on is a bright sounding Fender or similar thing. The difference in tone can sometimes be a positive and I've now decided the feel of the SS is so much better than standard frets that it's worth a little tone change, should that happen.

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have been playing a SS fretted tele clone daily for almost 2 years and no sign of fret wear. In the same period of time I've had to dress the frets on a regualr fretted Robert Cray and my Larrivee acoustic. I predict that stainless steel frets will become like electronic ignition - people will look back on ignition points and say WTF?

20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Two luthiers told me there is a difference in sound. You'd really need to try the two kinds of frets on the same guitar. Plus some guitars shunt certain frequencies and it may not be as noticeable of a difference on one guitar and very noticeable on another.

I'd think there'd be a difference. At least going by other stuff like how overly bright stainless steel strings sound compared to nickel. Or a steel slide compared to a glass one. But the only way is to try them on one particular guitar.