Stainless Steel vs Nickel Silver

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macmax77, May 7, 2017.

1. mikeller

mikeller Member

The guitars i have (3) with stainless steel came that way so I can not do a fair comparison. What I can say is that unplugged I prefer nickle by a country mile. Amplified probably another story. I had thought about re-fretting my #1 with SS when the time comes, but will likely not do that because I don't want to risk it.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

On the same (sequentially) or different acoustic guitar(s)?

3. Jon Silberman

You want to know why I work out regularly? It's because of my motto: "Old, fat, and bald - choose two of three!" :p

4. Jon Silberman

Personally, I prefer the feel of nickel-silver frets. I find the SS ones "slippery." This being said, I could get used to the latter (if I had to).

5. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

SS. Finally did one on my last refret. Zero difference in sound, they feel better (i like the slippery feel for bends) and, most importantly, it was almost a year ago and i have NO fret wear at all, no grooves, nothing and i am pretty heavy handed plus use a capo quite often. I would still buy a guitar that had nickel-silver, but would never do a refret with anything but SS and probably will never do another refret period since my #1 has the SS now.
    There are enough new ones that come with SS now where you should be able to at least try them in real life. I would never tell anyone that there is no difference if they have tried them and think there is one, but of course the internet/TGP can magnify tiny minutiae into NIGHT AND DAY differences, lol

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

You're hangin' with the wrong crowd. :D

rydogg_sc2 likes this.
  7. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

8. kimock

kimock Member

No, seriously you guys are all fine by me!!

Blix and smallbutmighty like this.
  9. macatt

macatt Member

Seven years on my main #1 Strat, gigging every weekend with NO fret wear.
    I thought at first there was a slight increase in brightness and clarity but if there is, it's SO slight I can't tell for sure.
    So yes, I'm a fan of SS frets.

S Mac

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

What band(s) you in macatt? We must have crossed paths.

11. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

I've encountered some wear on my guitar with SS frets, but in the time that I've begun to see this slight bit of wear, I would have probably needed two refrets with nickel frets.
    It only shows wear where I do a lot of string bending. Towards the heel and near the nut it's basically still brand new looking and I'm certain this guitar has had well over 1000 hours of play time at this point.
    If you don't do any significant amount of string bending, they might last practically forever.
    The only thing Jescar needs to do now is offer something a bit taller than their current largest wire and I'll be the happiest man alive

12. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

I often hear similar... I can only wonder... since I was a young teen, I've had callouss on my frettin' fingers so tough, I could barely feel it when I whammed one with a hammer... and now, at my age.. everything feels like I'm wearing two pair of Welding gloves...

I'm just wondering how ya feel the difference between the two kinds of frets with the ubiquitous callouses protecting your pinkies. :D

rk

13. Davy

Davy Supporting Member

I've just had my acoustic re-fretted with stainless Jescar 55090 fret wire and I can't really hear any difference. Maybe if I'd had some way of doing a back to back comparison I could have heard a difference but any change is so small it's irrelevant to me. I'm slowly working through all of my guitars and having them re-fretted in stainless. I love it.

14. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Opinions are such a fun thing to read! Being basically flat broke I can't afford to put SS on anything , but the few guitars I have that have it are greatly improved. You can convince yourself of anything and being human beans we do that all day everyday of our lives.

15. LReese

LReese Member

Different - But similar guitars. I belive the guy who did the video was Bryan Kimsey

16. Jon Silberman

Always be careful when attempting to project from yourself to others. For sure, I have solid calluses - from playing, mind you, not wood or metal working! - and yes, I, and many of my guitarist friends, readily feel the difference. (Why this would surprise you I don't fathom as, to me, the difference in feel is not in the fingertips but in how the strings slide across the frets.)

17. Jon Silberman

Then, respectfully, the video means little to me. You can pick up different examples of the same model of acoustic guitar and they'll sound utterly different one to the next. The effect is far more pronounced with acoustics than electrics. This is why I'll sometimes buy an electric guitar on-line without having played it first but never an acoustic.

18. macatt

macatt Member

Name Scott Macdonald
    Age 67
    Current bands:
    Soulstice, 8 Second Ride, Bill Carter
    Previous bands:
    Jake Jefferson, Warren Bros, Imposters, Carter Macdonald Band, Chimes Of Freedom,

19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

By now I have three and a half guitars with stainless steel frets. Bottom line: on all these guitars, I still sound like me; and to my ears the two and a half refretted guitars don't sound any different than they did with nickel silver. For me, there's no turning back!

20. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

Is it true that SS frets kill strings faster? I've always been intrigued by them, but never had them installed. My tech offered them when I took my Les Paul in for a refret and I declined because I put 9s on it so I figured I wouldn't wear frets much faster anyway, and I was scared of changing stuff, but he did such a nice job with the refret that I kinda regret it, because I don't want to lose these tall comfy frets ever.