Stainless Steel vs Nickel Silver

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macmax77, May 7, 2017.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I have not noticed any decrease in string life, and if anything I would think the less friction would increase the life.

2. macatt

macatt Member

Same here.
    Smoother frets; less friction.

S Mac

willyboy and 9fingers like this.
  3. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

4. Laketta

Laketta Member

I find the feel is more different than the sound. The feel is slicker with ss frets as there is no resistance at all.

5. LReese

LReese Member

Point taken. It was just a comparison.

From what i remember, sounded good either way, just a little different.

I'd say you're even going to hear/feel a difference with worn Nickel-Silver frets vs a perfect, fresh nickel silver fret job. How much? Who knows?

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Exact opposite for me. I've found that strings last longer because SS frets don't get that "oxidation" crud on them like NS frets.

7. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I think the difference in feel that people a feeling is the lack of oxidation crud that forms on NS frets.
    A freshly set of cleaned & polished NS frets will feel slick. Some people like the feel and some people prefer the feel after playing the guitar a while and the oxidation starts to form.

If you like the feel of a freshly polished NS frets you'll love SS frets. That's what what they feel like every time you play the guitar.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Oh, now we’re dumping on oxidation crud?

:p

9. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

while that could be an issue on rarely played guitars, on one played with the regularity characteristic of a professional, it would not be an issue. The act of playing will abrade away any accumulated oxidation that may have developed in the day or so since the last paying..

and on a rarely played guitar the metal to metal contact made by the string encountering the fret's crown would remove any crud... while the initial few times may feel subtly different, after a few moments, any oxidation will be ground away, the top of the fret "burnished" by the string, and the tactile interface should be status quo.

it's for that reason it's not really necessary to polish frets.. just a hit with a fine grade sand paper will do.. then play the guitar for a few minutes, that will burnish 'em smooth, however, the polished frets do look so much better.

rk

willyboy likes this.