Stand alone distortion pedals (no OD)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by geoangus, Jan 7, 2008.

1. geoangus

geoangus Supporting Member

help me out. It seems to me that so many pedals now emphasize OD tones, or combo of distortion and OD. I'm looking for a plain ol' distortion pedal for 60's 70's rock. I've got a FD2, so I don't really need an OD boost. Got some names other than Muff, MXR Distortion +, Boss DS-1. Is the Analogman mod the ticket? I play an Anderson Classic into a Boogie MKIII. THanks

btw - I tried to search but results are too broad.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Don't forget the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion or Tone Freak Dragonfly.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'd maybe go with the DS-1. I had the Keeley Ultra DS-1, and while it was a great pedal....just wasn't for me. But...I can see where it would have its place in what you're trying to accomplish. You can get them pretty cheap here, or on Ebay. I'd start there....or maybe a Rat.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

keeley mod is tres cool

5. Joses

Joses Member

+1 for the MP Mighty Red - the best in that class IMHO :D

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Find it interesting that you don't use the OD/Distortion channel of your Boogie MKIII ...

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

How about a RAT ?

8. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

I think either a Crunch Box or a modded DS-1 should fit your needs

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

IMO the reason there's just so many great OD's but not too many great *distortions* is that OD's seem to be easier to get right. I too looked long and hard to get a great distortion pedal... took a long time and many $$$.

Top of the pack IMO = BJF Dyna Red Distortion, simply incredible for *distortion* really has a tube FEEL to it. Hard to describe, but easy to hear/feel when playing through it. Seems to be a fairly even EQ to it, but has a hint of classic Marshall to the EQ curve. Only problem, these are quite expensive now due to exchange rates, so look at close to $400 to get one, maybe more???

Next would be the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion, must be off the same block as the DRD, but still different pedals. A little more JCM800, midy tone, with a slight round almost cocked wah affect (to my ears).

Also, you'd be real surprised how awesome a RAT fits this spot, even better a Keeley modded one. Its a hard to describe, but it's almost a fat and thin cutting tone at the same time :)NUTS). Sits so well in the mix and is just simply "right"

Honerable mention that still holds a special place in my heart is the Tonebone Classic. This pedal would be nearly perfect, if it didn't have a low output... needs a mosfet boost added to the output (Radial??).

Good luck!

10. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I'm still looking for the right distortion pedal. I've been through:

Rat 2 A little too fizzy and one dimensional. Didn't sound as 3D as other more expensive pedals.

Menatone 5 Knob KOTB. Didn't cut through as well as I thought it should. Not a bad pedal though, and the one I held onto the longest.

Ibanez Tube King. Pretty good Marshall voiced distortion pedal. IIRC it didn't "open up" until the volume reached a certain point, and that was quite a bit past unity gain. I should have tried a lower gain tube in it I suppose.

MI Audio Cruchbox Version 1. Nailed the JCM 800 tone with gain to spare. In fact a little more gain range than I needed. Unity gain was very early in the volume knobs throw, and it was extremely hard to set the volume knob close to unity. It was a little bit fizzy and unnatural on the top end, and maybe a tad too bassy. The bass issue was very minor, but the volume and the fizzyness were deal breakers. It's possible too that I was looking for something quite a bit lower gain than the CB. The volume and fizziness issue have been addressed in version 2 AFAIK, so I may try a V2 at some point.

Zvex Box Of Rock. The gain range was good on this pedal, and it was probably the only pedal I tried in the genre that actually cleaned up well with the volume knob. The problem (and this might be rig dependent) was the whoomping bass frequencies that this pedal pushed. If it had a bass knob it'd be the perfect Marshall voiced pedal for me, but as it is I couldn't live with all that extra bass. The boost function was great though.

Xotic BB Preamp. My current distortion pedal. The gain knob worked well up until 12:00 and then you got very little change in gain past that. It has enough gain for my needs at 12:00 anyway, but I guess it could be a concern for someone looking for more. Also, through my Fender it sounded like there was a clean tone being mixed with the distorted tone, but though other amps, and even at stage volume on the Fender that disappeared. Weird and a little unnatural sounding when it did that.

You notice I didn't call any of these pedals too compressed. I expect a distortion pedal to sound compress, at least to a certain extent.

Anyway, I'm still searching for the perfect distortion pedal.

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

+1 for RAT

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

Carl Martin PlexiTone! Best Marshall-in-a-box I have, and I also have a Tonebone Classic, BB Preamp, Burn Unit EQ, Small Fry, Keeley TS-808.

PlexiTone sounds HUGE! Two channels and clean boost included. Good
    bottom end, and adjustable tone knob with a wide range.

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I vote for the 7-knob Menatone KotB or a Plexidrive.

14. geoangus

geoangus Supporting Member

Like many others, I'm satisfied with the clean and drive channels, but the crunch rhythm side falls short. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shared controls with channel 1 (to get the crunch side near where I like it, the clean channel isn't what I want). I also have a hard time keeping a volume balance between the channels. I know there's the R2 mod available, but I'd rather keep the clean channel where I like it and add a pedal for the crunch.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at 'em.

15. gucka

gucka Member

Oh yes, that´s a fantastic pedal! One of the very best i´ve tried. Sounds amazing all the way from cleanish to 80´s metal gain with super clarity!

-thomas

16. SFW

SFW Member

hughes and kettner warp. I know that its a "nu metal" pedal, but if you keep the "warp" knob fully ccw it sounds great. I love mine. Very nice rock tones.

17. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

another vote for rat, the big box vintage or vintage reissue is my favorite.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Diamond Fireburst
    Skreddy Top Fuel
    Emma ReeZafratziz(sp ?)
    Subdecay Stupid box
    ZOOM Ultra Fuzz( seriously !)
    Euthymia ICBM

... and many more that escape me, right now.

19. Goofball

Goofball Member

+1
    This has been my main OD/Dist for years now. I goose it with a Rev DT II at times for a little extra hair. I just can't figure out why the Plexitone hasn't been raved about more on the boards. :confused:

20. gucka

gucka Member

I own both the PlexiTone and an old RAT from the 80's. If you want dynamics and great volume control clean-up, the PlexiTone is definetly the way to go+it has the bite of a RAT.
    If you want a more compressed tone with lots of sustain the RAT will do it!

-t