Standard vs Silver LTD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Aug 24, 2005.

1. drolling

drolling Member

Anyone had a chance to A/B this new one against the old version?

I need a low gain OD and the LTD has captured my interest. Outside of soundclips I've never heard either of these pedals so any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

I play Teles and Gretsch hollowbodies thru' old Vox & Fender blackface amps, using various TS clones (ie; BluesDevil) & analog delay.

I've been using a HotPlate for years to push my amps into overdrive but anything more than -8dB attenuation yields unuseable tones, so it's time to throw a new pedal into the mix.

There's so much stuff out there that I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks,
    dave

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Never played the std LTD but just got the Silver LTD and man is it sweet sounding, Its very amp like in tone and feel!

3. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

4. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks, guys. There's quite a difference in the voicing. Not as subtle as I was expecting..

5. telest

telest Member

Good to hear...I just ordered one of these along with the "new" Direct Drive. :AOK

Steve

6. jlagrassa

Just got the New Direct Drive myself................. It's a kick ass pedal that I set up for the Hot Rodded Marshall tone!

7. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

That's great to hear. My first "boutique" pedal was the original Direct Drive and I always loved that one. Maybe it's about time for me to do a little updating. :RoCkIn You'll have to share a picture of your board now. I bet it isn't so blue and white anymore.:D

8. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

The new direct drive is 100% fantastic. I am super critical of pedals but this one is a real winner. I would think the latest LTD's are in the same plane as far as sound quality, just with slightly different gain range and voicing. I have noticed that all barber pedals have a tonal signature that is distinct to his pedals. He just seems to keep refining that voice into more and more amp-like response and dynamics. great stuff.

9. jlagrassa

Your right it has a nice touch of Silver and Black now! I will post a pic soon!

10. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

hey jlagrassa

can you describe how the new direct drive is different from the ddss?

I have the ddss and it is one of my goto pedals despite alot of other ones that I buy.

Is it different enough to warrant having BOTH of them?

fuzzy

11. jlagrassa

I think that Dave Barber dropped the DDSS because they were so close in tone, The Only difference I think is the DDSS has an adjustable harmonics pot where as the new DD still has the Pull pot to switch in the Harmonics other than that the New DD has the Bass and Presence pot inside like the DDSS.

Definitely worth checking out!