Standby and Power off

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steinhauser34, Feb 6, 2015.

1. steinhauser34

steinhauser34 Member

So I know you're supposed to leave an amp in standby mode to let it warm up, but how long should it be in standby mode?

Also, I commonly will take hour long breaks (sometimes longer) to play piano. Would it be better to turn my amp off during these breaks or just leave it in standby mode?

What's the longest you can leave an amp in standby mode without doing any harm to the tubes?

These are all questions that I have sought answers to and never received a clear response. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. John Ward

John Ward Member

There is no easy answer because it depends on the amp. Twenty seconds on standby is long enough to warm up the tubes but it is debatable whether there is any benefit. If you have a GZ34/5AR4 rectifier then there is no benefit to starting on standby because indirectly heated rectifiers give a slow start.
    For an hour break, turn the amp off, it saves electricity and that way you don't forget about it.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You can search back here and get gazillions of speculative opinions..and some actual factual info.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I would also turn the amp off for a break of an hour. As for harming tubes due to leaving them on for long periods, don't worry about it. Any tube will have a life of X amount of hours but you won't damage it.

Think of tubes as sophisticated light bulbs, leaving a light bulb on for extended periods won't hurt it. Also, years ago large government computers were powered by tubes and they were never turned off.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I usually let my SVT warm up in standby for about 5 minutes and I put it in standby for breaks and for about 5 minutes before shutting it off.

6. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Half a minute to a minute is long enough for standby.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

9. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Yes a lot of info on this. Being an owner of many vintage tube amps and without going in to a long story.

-Turn on the standby for 30 seconds (unless unusually cold) enough time to heat the tube. (long periods may cause cathode poisoning)

- Turn off the amp with power switch ( let the caps drain)

10. 8len8

8len8 Member

Not again! Please use the forum search engine!