Standby Switch Usage

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DanR, Aug 21, 2004.

1. DanR

DanR Member

I seem to have heard conflicting info on using the standby switch on my amps when powering OFF. It seems that many people recommend turning the standby switch off first and then maybe 30 seconds later, turn the power switch off. I've also heard recommendations to shut the power switch off first before shutting off the actual standby switch.

Which method is the best.....and why?

DanR

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've been told that it doesn't really matter to the tubes which gets killed first. If that's the case, I'd be more inclined to go to standby first if only to avoid forgetting to flip the switch after the power is killed.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It doesn't matter. The tubes don't care.
    If you're going to work on the amp (internally) it's best to turn the power switch off first. This allows the filter caps to drain. ALWAYS check the stored voltage with a meter before working on an amp, however.

4. Yossi

Yossi Member

Lord Valve has a lot to say on tube care and what to do.

I think he says to turn on the power first and wait 5 min for the tubes to warm up, then turn the standby to play.

and the reverse turn off the standby and then wait 5 minutes to turn the power off after playing.

He doesn't like using standby for short breaks because the change in temp doesn't do any good.
    Better to turn the volume down on the guitar.

5. mofinco

mofinco Member

Well, that's one person's opinion. If you really think the tubes cool down that much in a short time, then more power to you. I disagree. That also completely disregards that the tube heaters are still on even though the standby switch is off.

Turning things off... it doesn't matter which order. When first starting an amp up, definitely turn the power on and wait a couple of minutes before hitting the standby. Let the heaters do their job.