standby switch, whats up with the snap, crackle, pop?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jezzzz2003, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Hi .
    I am wondering why my re-issue marshall 1987x pops sometimes when I switch on the standby switch>??
    Whats up wid dat?:BITCH

2. number9

number9 Member

I have seen several reasons for this... the main ones are:
    Bad ground, or a ground that is faulty or not having a very good connection, really
    check around the filter caps.
    Bad filter cap, this is kind of rare (not the bad cap, the bad cap making that sound)
    Bad power switch (I see this a lot more than I would like to... geez, is a good switch that much more?)
    Bad wiring to the first cap... check all of those solder joints!
    Arcing somewhere from inrush current... I have sometimes seen these elusive
    "wire was slightly crimped/cut/whatever here, and now it starts to pop when cut on"

Most of the time I find the problem is a ground, or the switch.

Hope that helps some.

3. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Cool, thanks for writing back!
    I also would like to know if any of theser symptoms can hurt my amplifier?

4. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Have your amp tech (or if you DIY) add a .02 @ 600 V cap across the switch terminals. It makes a nice suppressor for sparks and arcs that make noise and kill switches prematurely.

Many, if not all, of these standby switches are rated for a lower voltage and a higher current (old Fender's are really bad culprits for switch under-rating) and the caps make them survive the arc better when used at DC. I guess the Engineer's figured higher voltage and lower current would be okay...

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Thanks for your replies guys.
    I have had the tubes replaced and thats not the problem,
    I checked all earth connections so I think I might go with the cap and see what happens,
    Good to know it will be o.k without though.
    I have also noticed old fenders with the same problem but even louder than my amp.
    Thanks again.

6. Lammy

Lammy Member

Just got a traynor yba-1 back from a recap retube, and its doing this also. Its freaking me out! I am about to go on tour for 3 weeks, so I dont have time to drop it back off to have him check it out. It wont cause any damage to speakers or the amp?

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

It will not cause any damage to your tubes or speakers as the voltage is only very slight as I have learned since.
    I just dont worry about this anymore and have never had a problem in a year of fairly heavy usage.
    Although I do know how it is to stress night and day over little problems like this.
    Try to sleep well at night and dont worry about it.
    Cheers!!

8. Lammy

Lammy Member

Thanks! Used it on a gig last night, and there actually was no snap crackle or pop.