• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Standel Amplifiers, Chet, Paul, Wes, Merle, Joe and Larry

Groovey Records

Standel Amplifiers were first (1952) to use High Fideleity JBL-Lansing 130 15 inch speakers. Many inovations now taken for granted were first introduced by Standel and later brought to the mass market by Fender and Gibson. The Company originally established in 1953 by Bob Crooks, Standel began as a boutique electronics company specializing in hi-end, professional guitar amplifiers hand built one at a time in Bob Crooks garage.

Joe Maphis played a Standel Amplifier, and so did Merle Travis, Speedy West, Chet Atkins, Hank Thompson, Grady Martin, Hank Garland, Larry Collins, Barbara Mandrell, Ralph Mooney, Noel Boggs, Buddie Emmons, Wes Montgomery, and many more of the top session musicians of the 1950's and 1960's.

Chet Atkins Favored a Standell 25L15 always in his home studio and on the road till the late 80's.

From Paul Yandell "For most of his recording he used his 1954 Standel miked with an RCA 44 ribbon mic. It had a JBL D-130. It was only 25 watts but Paul said it was a loud 25 watts.

Chet's Standel was made in 1954 and was made for Jimmy Day a steel player. Chet traded him a Fender Pro for it. It is stock… still the same original. JBL 15 inch speaker in it. He has used this amp on 98% of his records both for his electric and electric nylon string guitars. Chet's Standel has a great sound. It sounded better than the ones I had.

The Standel amp isn't very durable for road work. The way it’s made the power supply is in the bottom and the pre-amp in the top. If the airlines can destroy a suitcase, think what they could do to an old amp like that! When a person has an old piece of equipment you have to give it special care, Chet's amp has served him well all these years and is still going strong."

( Chet's Amp and Guitar's now live in the Country Music Hall of Fame)

More Info from Paul Yandel about Chet and all his Guitars and equipment is here http://www.misterguitar.us/cbimg/PaulFAQ.html

Wes Montgomery's 1965 70L15 Standel Super Custom XV, as used by Wes Montgonery.

The 1965 SS 70 watt version featured two channels. The Normal channel included: Volume, Treble, Bass. In the above photo of Wes he is shown playing through the Reverb/Vibrato channel which included: Volume, Treble, Bass, Contour (cut only), Reverb, Intensity and Speed.

This is a current production model available by special order based on a original 25 watt 1955 Standel

Merle Travis and his Standel

Joe Maphis and Larry Collins

Photos and info courtesy www.standelamps.com and www.misterguitar.us/cbimg/PaulFAQ.html

Enjoy The Music
Groovey Records
Listening to Chet Atkins CGP

Peppy

I probably played through one of Joe Maphis' Standels back in the late 60s. I went to the same junior high in Atwater, CA that his son Jody did and we both played in the school band and both got to play electric guitar for a band concert. I remember him bringing in both a Standel and a Mosrite for practices...I got to try them out. I brought in my...drum roll please...Guyatone guitar and Guyatone amp.

Mike

A jamming buddy in High School had one from 1973 - 1977. He sold it to get a Peavey Session 400.

I used to own these:

The 25L15 sure looked and sounded purty with my Chapin T....

Mike

daddyo

One more great amp that doesn't cost $50,000 and that was on a ton of recordings and influenced a sh*tload of players.

the 25L15 is one of the most unique sounding amps of all time. it really doesn't distort in the conventional sense and has one of the most beautiful big, warm and complex clean sounds that i have ever heard.

the most 'acoustic' sounding amp, by far.

Mickey Shane

apolitical
Silver Supporting Member
The vintage ones that I've seen on the bay, have gone for high dollar. It's not like no one appreciates them. Quite contraire.

jcat

My understanding is that the late great John Cipollina / Quicksilver Messenger Service used several Standel amps in his rig

Groovey Records

John Cipollina's rig is one of a kind. Who do you Love!

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
Groovey Records
Listening To "Wish You Were Here"

BTW it 10 below and I've got 1 foot of fresh snow

Last edited:

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I sure would love to plug into a tube standel amp. Also, anyone here know about "Invicta" amps, built by NJs pickup winder OC Duff. It appears to be very close to the original Standel.

pfflam

I have a Standel branded 15" speaker . . . it sounds good. Its going into my Vibroverb soonsI gets me a jigsaw to cut a baffle

Groovey Records

I sure would love to plug into a tube standel amp. Also, anyone here know about "Invicta" amps, built by NJs pickup winder OC Duff. It appears to be very close to the original Standel.

The Invicta is an Ommage to The Standel but not a clone it has a few design "improvements" for "convienience".

A Huge part of the Standel sound was its clarity and head room and lets not forget the 15" JBL - Lansing Drivers.

So the sad news is I sold my Bass Rig. A real sweet sounding Aguilar Amp and Cab so I could buy a Standel 80 watt amp from 1959/60. An Original Bob Crooks Amp from some Mason Hall on the West Coast. Mint all original in GREEN. From the photos and conversation I had with the seller I got that it may be the Same Model as in the picture above with Joe Maphis and Larry Collins.

It went from $1150 to $2700 in the last 30 seconds. Sheister!

Take a look while its still listed on ePay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290213551083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
GrooVey Records
Listening to Nils Lofgrin- Grin

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I was re-reading the Chet book "Chet Atkins, Me and My Guitars" and I found it interesting that Chet went from a Fender Wide Panel Deluxe to a Fender Pro to the Standel.

Make me wonder what a 5E3 with a JBL 15 would sound like.

Groovey Records

Well one telling point is after the Standel Chet didnt change again for moe then 25 years on the road and still used it in the studio.

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
GrooVey Records
Listening To Wagner-Tristan and Isolde- Live at the Met-NPR

Trending Topics

Top Bottom