Stanley Effects ETAP2HW Tape Echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radiomanjh, Mar 4, 2015.

1. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Member

I came across this pedal on the net and wanted to know if anyone heard or have any experience with it. it sounds pretty good and its based on the Meazzi Valve tape echo units.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Giving this a bump.. I'm interested too. 2nd time I've seen this mentioned in my browsing around. Looks cool for $200 US.

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Interesting... judging from the manual it seems that quite a lot of attention has gone to the head timings, and the Shadows guitar fans are really anal about those. There are patches that recreate them for Yamaha and Zoom stompboxes, Alesis racks etc etc. So this looks like a good and simple alternative with a great price. Unfortunately however, I don't really hear much going on regarding its sound. I've spent a bit of time with these multihead echoes from the early 60s (I also own one), and they have a very detailed and complex sound that I don't hear much in the demos of the webpage. The repeats seem to blend together nicely and the overall general vibe is there, but I can't form an honest opinion unless I try one myself.

However, having said that and having tried these alternatives that I mentioned before, the head timings are a good first step and if you use a Strat and a good clean amp (not necessarily Vox-ey but it helps) with a touch of good spring or plate-style reverb, you're there. You can also try a Catalinbread Echorec which has a bit more character but lacks the precise head timings.

4. snouter

snouter Member

Just to clarify. It is a digital delay, not a tape echo.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Er... yes, I think that's more than obvious.

6. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Supporting Member