Star Amplfier problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by voxworld, Sep 9, 2006.

1. voxworld

voxworld Member

I just picked up a Gainstar 30 and it has an odd problem.
    When I play a G bar chord the amp crackles and has a pronounced static sound that changes levels.
    I changed out the preamp tubes and there was no change.
    Any opinions? Thx.

2. kaseri

kaseri Member

Something similar happened to me with my old 6545. I sent it back to Z and it ended up being a bad power tube socket.

3. voxworld

voxworld Member

Thanks for that, I'm leaning toward power tubes as being suspect. He specs for the Valve Arts EL34's, not sure who's selling them though.

4. Fretts

Fretts Member

If the whole amp likes to vibrate in the key of "G", it could be a cold solder joint or a resistor or other part that is reacting to the increased vibration. That could include connections at the tube socket, or also the guts of a marginal tube.

5. voxworld

voxworld Member

I was going to try some other power tubes but the tube retainers on the power tubes have a clamp around them that squeezes around the base of the tube with a screw.
    I removed the screw and bent out the clamp a little but the tube wouldn't budge.
    I didn't want to force it without being sure,
    Is there anything I'm overlooking in releasing the tubes froim these clamps?
    Also, this amp is billed as being 'true class A', can I just put in a set of matched EL34's and go?

6. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Kevin, it's most likely cathode biased and not "True Class A". That said you can pop some tubes in safely. I like to check the bias anyway just to make sure the tubes aren't way too cold or hot.

7. voxworld

voxworld Member

Hi Jeff, thanks for the input.
    Turned out to be a bad solder connection on the 2nd preamp socket. Hopefully it's up and running forever now.
    Thanks for all the replies.