Star Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DWB1960, Jan 11, 2006.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Anyone know the deal with these? I have a NOva and simply lov e the thing. Star's website doesn't even have it listed and the company seems to be way below the radar. I wish Mark could be getting more press.

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

i wanna know too! bump!

3. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=122564

I've had mine for almost two weeks, can't put 'er down...did you want to know about the company or the Nova specifically?

BTW, I heard from the Star rep that you CAN use an a/b box to switch between gain/clean inputs just not both together...this and lack of speaker output impedance selection are the only things that are missing for me on this amp...

:AOK

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

That's a great write up dbx. I agree 100% with you. I'm asking about Star in general. Why these things are not all over the press is beyond me. I've played a ton of smaller amps too and the Nova slays them all for having gourmet sounds at normal TV listening volume levels.

5. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

:D thanks, man...I'm glad you're having the same experience...validates what happening at my place...so far I haven't found any bad tones, have you noticed you're able to really distinguish your guitar(s) voicing better?...from what I understand, Star Amps is Mark's baby. He is directly involved in all aspects of the process. This is his vehicle to apply all of the knowledge and tricks he's learned over the years/companies. Being the main guy I think gives him the creative/design control that may have been missing in other arrangements...I think he's on the upswell and will probably lite up after winter NAMM...I'm looking forward to trying the a/b switching....

:cool:

6. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Probably the thing I dig the most is how organic it sounds overall and how the tone controls are stacked. Simply turning up and down doesn't just increase or decrease things but seems to completely re-voice the circuit. Hard to explain but you know what I mean. I consider the Nova to be a full on extention of the guitar - and instrument more than just an amp - it really is THAT GOOD!

It also loves both single coils and humbuckers equally. Ever looked under the hood? A friggin masterpiece. The same PTP type assembly as the upper scale boutique stuff. Most low wattage amps cut corners everywhere but Samspon treated this thing like his higher wattage Roll Royces.

Now I can't wait to get home and play mine again!

7. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

HA...yes...you hear that too? At first I thought I was stoned on the tone...the tone stack doesn't boost/cut...as you said it seems to revoice the circuit somehow, is that an active process? Maybe it's some kind of "tilt" EQ going on...I don't know, whatever it does it's beautiful...I like being able to switch pickups/guitars and with a small adjustment have the amp bring the pups into focus...

I'm sure the construction is top notch, I haven't been inside yet, but I take your word for it...I hear what you say about the construction/tone quality..I'm really intrigued by the Blues Star(...but I can't even consider at this point...:D)...Have you run the line out into a bigger amp?

Cool man! Have a blast...

:RoCkIn

8. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Haven't done anything with it except "plug 'n' play". Good to see someone else is diggin this as much as I am.

9. FredW

FredW Member

What is the output impedance? Can you hook it up to a larger cab or is the speaker hardwired. sounds like a great amp

10. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

The Jensen P10R is 8 ohms and is jacked in, there's no selectivity on the output impedance. I'm sure you could probably drive a bigger 8 ohm cab with it. I tried line-ing out to a larger wattage amp into two 1x12 cabs...it was bigger sounding, but I thought some of the fidelity was lost...gotta tweek that arrangement to see if I can get more clarity...I think straight into a cab would be best...however, I think the overall amp design maximizes the Jensen, I'm sure there was some calculation behind the size of the port in the back...routing to a cab may change that dynamic...

:)

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I was wondering about the 30 watt reverb heads,anyone heard one?

12. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better...the "Super" Nova is coming our way...the Nova's big brother: 15W (2x6V6) 1x12 Celestion Vintage 30 w/reverb...OMG...

:D

13. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

FYI...I just confirmed with Mark that this WILL NOT work. The inputs of this amp are wired in series much like a JCM800 style amp. Plugging into the two jacks at the same time nullls out one or the other input...

HOWEVER, I now have a very nice A or B, tuner out, audio mute switch pedal... :D