Star Amps Blues Star

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doyle o'brian, Jan 28, 2008.

1. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

I stopped in the Chicago GC today to pick up some strings, and my jaw hit the floor when I saw a Blues Star sitting on the floor. I own a Gain Star which I love, but I have always thought that the Blues Star might fit me better. It has the same great clean tone as the Gain Star, but unlike the Gain Star, which only has Bass, Treble, and Brilliance for the clean channel, the Trim and Master Vol work on the clean channel of the Blues Star. In addtion the Blues Star has a Mid Eq knob that the Gain Star doesn't have. There is a gain control that only affects the boost channel.
    While the Gain Star has a raunchy kind of overdrive that some people don't like, the Blues Star has a much smoother sounding overdrive. I thought that maybe the Blues Star would have less gain, but really it has a ton of thick gain on tap. My first reaction was to see if I could trade my Gain Star for the Blues Star. After playing the amp for about a half hour though, I started to miss some of the unique flavor of the Gain Star overdrive channel. Ultimately, I decided that although the Blues Star sounded amazing, the Gain Star is something special that I don't want to give up. Also, because the master only works on the overdrive channel of the Gain Star, you can set the two channels to the same volume or any relative volume you want. The Blues Star has one master that works for both channels. The other channel is really a boost that kicks the volume way up unless you set the gain really low.
    Just to summarize this little review, I think that the Blues Star has the advantages of a more tweakable clean channel (the master vol on the clean channel is a huge plus) and a smoother overdrive channel that would appeal to a wider range of players than the raunchier Gain Star. For those of you that love the clean channel of the Star Amps, but not the dirty channel, check out the Blues Star.

2. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Was this the 15 or 30W version of the Blues Star?

3. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

30W 1x12 combo in Black with Green front panel.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Thanks for the review, there's not really much in the way of reviews for the Blues star!

I'm like you, I think the blues Star may be a better fit but I'm not willing to give up my gainstar in case it isn't.

I assume it has the same moddified vin30 as the rest of the Star Line?

I just recieved a weber blue 50w ceramic to put in the gainstar tonight. I'm hoping for good things as the 30 watt alnico blue was kinda flubby at hi volumes.

5. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

There is very little info on Star amps in general, so I figured this was worth posting. Let me know how that speaker change works out for you, and hopefully we'll see more discussion of Star amps in the future.

I'll add one more note. I've found that sticking a nice overdrive or boost pedal in the effects loop of the Gain Star can give you a lot more control over the character of the gain channel. I've gotten a lot of nice smoothe overdrive tones this way.

6. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

Sorry, I forgot. Yes, I believe it does have the same speaker as the Gain Star.

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Please give us your opinion on that Weber. I've got Blues too and, while they sound great at lower levels, they flub a bit with my GainStar too.

8. Jason_86_951

Interesting!

I'll add a little note too, the gain channel LOVES a Zendrive!

9. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

Although Gain Star owners know this, I should have added that the effects loop is only for the gain channel. Unlike most amps in which the effects loop affects both channels, you can stick a pedal in the loop of the Gain Star and it won't affect the clean channel. This is cool because you can put an overdrive pedal in the loop to change the sound of the gain channel without having to turn it off when you switch to the clean channel. I didn't think to try this with the Blues Star, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the effects loop works for both channels on the Blues Star since it is more like a one channel amp with a footswitchable boost.

10. Jason_86_951

I've been wanting to buy an EQ pedal for a while for this very reason.

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I hadn't thought of putting a drive in the loop and being able to leave it on as an EQ of sorts -gotta try that with the BB booster I just got.

I'll post a little review on the 50w blue too.

12. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

I use an AC booster with the gain down pretty low so it is almost like a clean boost. I would like to try the RC booster, but I imagine that it wouldn't be as warm sounding as the AC. This sounds great both in front and in the effects loop of the Gain Star. I'll bet the BB would be great too. Let us know what you think of the BB with the Gain Star.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Cool - I gotta check out Star amps one of these days. I'm a huge Matchless/Bad Cat guy - so I'm sure they would be right up my alley.

14. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Hey Doyle,

What was the asking price on the Blues Star?

15. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Was it new or used?

16. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

It was used. They were asking $2499.