STAR Amps - Mark Sampson/How to Contact?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martie6621, Nov 11, 2005.

1. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone know how to contact Mark or someone at STAR Amps? Their website has neither a phone number nor e-mail address. There is a link to SMF but same thing - no way to contact?

Here's why I am reaching out...

Mark, if you read this, the Trim control (CH2) on a GS30 is almost non existent. The control is "scratchy" and does not seem to make contact and thus has little if any tonal sweep. Bad tube? If so, which preamp tube would need changing? Bad pot maybe?

Thanks to anyone for help :)

martie6671@hotmail.com

2. Timster

Timster Member

best thing to do would be to call the dealer who sold you the amp, and have them set you up. I doubt Sampson reads the boards

3. martie6621

It's used so no dealer to call....Does get one wondering why a maker of a product would make his company hard to contact? Who benefits from that strategy? Maybe it's an oversight :confused:

4. Timster

Timster Member

Could be an oversight. It's is pretty frustrating...I'd like to ask him about rectifier tubes..

Anyways, as for the trim control - it is subtle in its effect - but definitely noticeble in larger increments, and with the volume up. I don't have a scratchy pot though.

Maybe try contacting SMF. They can probably set you up.

5. Brian H

Brian H Member

My suggestion is to wait for the next guitar show; you can't spit without hitting the guy.

(Call me, I have contact info)

6. martie6621

....ouch!:p ...at least he comes to the shows which is more than I can say for your other LA based "Tone Most Highest" Amp Yodas!
    RoccaBogga.

will call you, Brian. Thanks

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Andy...didn't realize you picked this up. I had the same frustration with an SMF pedal...hard to believe they throw products out there and seem to turn their backs. Perhaps they expect dealers to take care of issues, but it sure doesn't look good from the consumer end.

Don't listen to Brian...I wouldn't recommend spitting at the guy. ;)
    Greg

8. martie6621

Agree, to make yourself and your company immune from customer contact does not seem to be a good approach. I love what they do but it's more than about the sale- especially on high priced "boo-teek" gear that may need some after market attention. Giving the benefit of the doubt here but hard to figure. Amps costing over 3,000 should come with some assurance that the company is there for you.

9. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

I bought a SC30 back in 93 and at first the service was great. But after a few years,it was a joke. And we all know what happened after that!

10. muddy

muddy Member

hardly. it's a STRATEGY! smf is EXACTLY the same! but at least with smf, you get rick (hamel) to interface with, but you'll have to do some investigative work to GET his email & tel.#! to his credit, rick has always taken stellar care of me, going above & beyond the norm to do so! and totally at HIS expense! and the amp's quality of tone more than speaks for itself; at least mine does.

ml

11. martie6621

There are a lot of amps out here to choose from. I probably won't be real persistent in tracking down the "service department" of a manufacturer who chooses not to publish a means of contact. Too bad really - I want to like this amp but can't convince myself to invest in a product that does not seem to be ready or willing to talk to customers. Anybody have a different opinion? By the way, I own a 1st generation Matchless and real early (when they were first introduced at a guitar show) Bad Cat Cub and love them. Was hoping to make this STAR part of the collection.

12. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Does the pots scratch only in spots like a dirty pot, or does it scratch pretty consistant through the entire sweep of the pot(this could indicat some DC voltage getting to the pot.

Scott

13. martie6621

just in spots. Seems like there are some dead spots where no contact is made. Dirty?

14. scottosan

That's a good sign! $2 part or some radioshack contact tuner cleaner should do the trick.

15. martie6621

Thanks Scott. I will try it, Let you know
    Andy

16. scottosan

I was going to post a product link, but I couldn't find it on the website. The old part number was 64-4315. It runs about $10, but will last forever. If they no longer carry it, I'm sure Tanners Electronics will have some (located of of 35 and Valwood Parkway, east of 35 less than 1/4 mile)

1100 Valwood Parkway, Suite #100

If you do find some, just spray a little bit in the pot (lets hope they aren't closed pots) turn the pot a few turn and let it sit for 5 minutes.

17. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

PM me for contact info. My dealer put me in touch with Joe Alrich the dealer sales rep, formally of Bad Cat. Joe put me right through to Mark who was very cool and helpful. I can understand not posting their number on the website - they'd be slammed with tire kickers but they should definitely post contact info on the manual that comes with the amp.