Star Ground?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cnardone, Jan 14, 2004.

1. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I am in the process of building a home brew. I've read about star grounding, but how important is it? I took a look inside my Beagle and I am pretty sure Alessandro does not use it. Could it make that much of a difference? Thanks for the help.

cmn

2. SeanF

SeanF Member

I try to do it on everything I build. Properly done, it's the best way to go, imo, but a lot of builders don't use that approach. whatever works for you.

3. cnardone

Is the reason for star grounding hum? Would hum be more prevelant in a higher gain situation?

cmn

4. KLB

KLB Member

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/stargnd/stargnd.htm

The above link is by RG Keen.

For the star ground in a JTM-45 reissue, I used a little copper grounding rod terminal, which can securely hold 6-10 typical ground wires in one wad, with a mounting tab to attach it to the chassis. I got it from Home Depot for less than 50 cents. I mounted it near the single input jack, a metal switchcraft type grounded on the chassis at that point. I bridged the channels using a pair of 33K resistors tied together at one end, and attached to the grids on V1 (2 & 7).

I got terrible RF problems until I modified for star ground, which involved removing grounds from back of control pots, and converting the 4 plastic input jacks to single metal one.

5. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

Thanks for that link. That's an excellent article - the whole site is good.

6. cnardone

yes thanks for the link. I've read about star grounding but it was never explained so well. I also thought that instead of connecting everything to the one ground that you could run one wire from original ground around the chassis (from one side to the other) hitting each of the mini stars. Is this not correct?

thanks

cmn