• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Star Nova users: Did you swap the speaker?

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought a Star Nova. It's got the Jensen 10" in it, I've never been a fan of that speaker.

Has anyone that has this amp changed the speaker? If so, what did you change it to? How did it change the sound?

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a NOS Brimar 6V6, a NOS RCA 12AX7 in V1, and a NOS Mullard 12AX7 in V2. I've got some Blackplate 6V6's and a few Telefunkens. Haven't tried any other tubes.

As far as the speaker, I'm not saying it sounds bad...Just curious if anyone has used something different, and how it sounded.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Well lately I've come across a little bit of buzz from the stock jensen speaker that's been bugging me. I tried the amp through a 12" alnico blue in another cab today and it sounded better such that I've decided to upgrade. I've ordered a 10" 15 watt Scumnico. Will let you know how it turns out!
Never thought about that one! I love the Scumback that I put in my deluxe. Let me know how it works out for you.

12guitdown

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I tried 3 different speakers and always ended up replacing the jensen. It just seems to be voiced properly for that amp. The speakers I tried were a blue dog, a TT alnico and a TT ceramic which are all great speakers but sounded a bit conjested. I like the Jensen but I have to keep the bass set at 11:00 or lower otherwise it farts out. I was always wanting a little more bottom with this speaker and I'm sure there's a better suited one for the job but I just didn't find it.

How's the scumnico?

hoffmanj

Gold Supporting Member
I would like to change the speaker in mine, but it seems to be glued in. Did anyone else have any trouble changing theirs out? I had a couple of Novas, and another TGP member got a good deal on one I sold after I pulled off part of the baffle trying to remove the speaker (and realized it was glued in). Am I missing some simple trick here? I've swapped speakers / tubes / other parts before many, many times. In the end I just assumed it was another Mark Sampson trick to make the little amp as tight as possible.

BTW, I love the amp, and agree that it likes NOS tubes. The power tube swap seemed to make the biggest difference in mine.

12guitdown

Gold Supporting Member
I remember the back cover was stuck to the cab due to excess tolex glue but not the speaker. Maybe send him an Email.

dumbell78

Ive stuck with the Jensen but keep the bass set below 12 o'clock so it wont fart out. I do play the amp through my 2x12 cab loaded with scumback m75's and it sounds sweet. Ill get around to getting a scumback sooner or later but to be honest Im cool with the Jensen for now.

hoffmanj

Gold Supporting Member
I remember the back cover was stuck to the cab due to excess tolex glue but not the speaker. Maybe send him an Email.
Come to think of it, you're right - that was the first problem. I've actually had three Novas. One back came off with a little effort, but on that one I was just chaning out the tubes. The second back cover came off cracked with a piece of the frame stuck to it (I just stared at that for a while), and the last one I have seems stuck but I'm not going to force it. I'm pretty sure that after going to the trouble of tearing off the back cover on the second one that the speaker was definitely glued, and I realized I had gone to all of that trouble / damage for nothing. I may try to send him an email as you siggested.

dzo

I have kept mine stock so far and am very happy. It does take a long time warm up, though. I am very curious to hear about the Scumnico upgrade.

jerrylee

Silver Supporting Member
I tried a Weber Blue Pup (nicely broken in) and a new-ish Eminence Copper Head..I actually like the Copper Head the best ..not night and day...but I just though it took care of some of the papery sound.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking of just ordering a Scumnico also. I love those speakers. I cant imagine that it would be a down grade.

Trending Topics