Star Spangled Banner for Guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by guitarz1972, Feb 22, 2012.

1. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, I didn't find anything on a quick search. I might have an opportunity to do a solo guitar version of the national anthem for local baseball games, etc. Interested if anyone has or knows of perhaps a relatively easy jazz guitar or a mid-level acoustic guitar transcription.

Would like to do electric guitar if possible, but not looking for a full-on Hendrix or anything too shred-driven. Thanks in advance.

Play ball.

2. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Are you looking for a specific arrangement to use, or just some stylistic ideas for places to take it?

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Jay Graydon has a great one.

4. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Specific arrangements would be helpful. I could figure out melody and chords by ear if I need to, but interested in whatever specific transcriptions and arrangements already exist. Again, easy jazz to mid-level "anything-not-jazz," nothing over the top; one time completely through the tune, maybe a little embellishment at the end, and done. If it's a long arrangement I guess I could always abbreviate it.

5. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Thanks so much, I'll check it out.

Chris

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

PM me if you can't locate it.

7. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Fill in the gaps to this basic idea to the tune

Jimi at Woodstock lol

made from only Cmaj6 and the diminished 7th chord or the C major Bebop scale

---------------------------------12---10----8-----------------------------------
    -8----5----1----5----8----13----10----9----8----5----6----8---10---13---10---8
    -5----2----0----2----5----12---------------------2----4----5----9---10----9---5
    ---------------------------------10----9----7-----------------------------------
    -7----3----0----3----7----12---------------------3----5----7---10---11---10---7
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ran out of room, guess you'll have to finish it :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. randalljazz

randalljazz Member

9. cram

cram Member

mentioned earlier in the thread -
    j.graydon

This one was ok - the harmonies provide a good example to draw from (that's my point)

jimi -

I've played it at this anual independance party we have. It's pretty cool to hear people singing along when you're doing a good job of it.

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Believe or not, Metheny and Bruce Hornsby played it at an NBA game. I'm still trying to locate it.