Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mdrake34, Apr 12, 2019.

1. etepbbb

etepbbb Member

Am I the only person in the world that enjoyed Solo? Not as good as Rogue One, but way better than TFA and TLJ.

2. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

If Jar Jar actually made Rey a descendant of Palpatine and she and Ben Solo battle the new incarnation of the Emperor and win, then I'll forget all I've said about Jar Jar Abrams and forget entirely everything about ep. 8. Although if it's "Rise of Skywalker", I would guess that she is somehow a Skywalker...there's a lot of explaining to do if that's the case...

RE: someone talked about ROTJ, i liked the movie when I saw it in '83, but watching it as an adult, i think it's unwatchable. H. Ford just hams up the whole time, you could tell he didn't want to be there....but he was the best part of Ep 7, and should have been kept alive I think....

3. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Billy Dee is back?!?

sahhas likes this.
  5. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

Abrams did alright with TFA,but Johnson dropped the ball a bit with TLJ. There are parts I like a great deal about it, but it also has serious issues IMO.

sahhas likes this.
  6. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I enjoyed Solo, but as my son said: it was sort of an unnecessary movie. We had enough hints of Han's backstory, not sure we really needed to see it in a movie.

I think Disney was hoping for a big success and to continue this portion in more movies, but they were put in the can when the movie didn't really do so well....

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a bad feeling about this.

8. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

I completely agree about Han. It ruined an already questionable movie for me. No offense to the actor, it was just poor casting. Did you see the video of that young guy who does a spot on imitation on Han? The studio said they didn't want someone who just did an impersonation, but maybe that's what they needed for us to buy in to it.

I disagree with you however, about Donald Glover. I normally love his work (acting and as Childish Gambino) but I thought he was boring. Lando is supposed to be charmingly obnoxious. Donald Glover's portrayal was so dull.

R3deemed likes this.
  9. Rob Eddy

Rob Eddy Member

How can he rise if he's NOT dead?

speedtaco and sahhas like this.
  10. Bozak

Bozak Member

TFA was great, captured you from the beginning, great action, very funny, amazing visuals, eye candy everywhere until the end, and Rey was a very good leading lady, I see nothing about it to dislike, so I have faith JJ can do it again.

Hopefully they just ignore TLJ and move on from that storyline, it didn't work at all, it would be great if JJ and his team found a way to work around that bomb.

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

I missed that one. I'll take a look though.

I hear what you're saying but I thought that had more to do with the half assed writing than casting or his acting chops.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I am a slave to the franchise, always have been, always will be. You can show me this movie on Netflix, the night before it comes out, and I'd still be in line on opening day, and would pay $30.00 if I had to, to see it again, because I'm an idiot for it. Also, the following rant excludes R1, because I love that movie and it's no B.S. attitude.

Having said that:

I think the franchise's biggest problem, since ESB, has been that they are trying to hard to appeal to everyone. There are some movies that just appeal to everyone, because they are great, and some movies that TRY to appeal to everyone, and it comes on too strong and is transparent, and people see through that.

The OG appealed to kids, WITHOUT porgs, ewoks, Jar-Jar, etc. Yeah, R2D2 and 3PO were quirky, but it wasn't TOO obviously aimed at prepubescent humor. It had an all adult cast and had JUST enough humor to make it fun and not dark. The never before seen special effects grabbed the guys, especially the nerds, and putting a gun in the princess' hand and empowering her, brought a few women in, I'm sure, and the young man's rise to heroic-ism was a great story, so, anyone could enjoy it.

Then, it just started trying too hard, and continues to do so, and everyone knows it.

Look, I'm a minority. Yes, I enjoy seeing women and people of color in movies and important positions, but, there comes a point where you're trying TOO hard, and seemingly doing it for the sake of doing it, and it can come off disingenuous. This franchise tries too hard to be everything to everyone, and the movies get very diluted, and you end up not grabbing ANYONE, as strongly as maybe 1 or 2 groups, but, they sell tickets, and that's their goal, so . . .

13. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

Rian Johnson SUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I'm kinda partial to Ice Station Zebra myself, which I saw when I was almost 12 at it's premier run at the Cinerama Dome in 70mm Cinerama. It didn't age well and doesn't look real good on TV, but in a real theater, it was pretty stunning.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

You and Howard Hughes.

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I actually giggled when Lando showed up.

R3deemed, Peteyvee and A-Bone like this.
  17. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

When was the last time someone walked out of a JJ Abrams film and said "Wow that really built to a satisfying climax"?

18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I'm always hypnotized by the lens flares.

19. Madsen

Madsen Member

those Dome Cinemas blew my mind as a kid. I saw Empire at the Cinedome in Orange,Ca. I remember the sound system rumbling my guts. They bulldozed it a few years ago & put up condos or something.
    [​IMG]

Peteyvee and A-Bone like this.
  20. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

He certainly has his talents, but tying things up well has never been one of them. Do people actually think he's going to manage it with the mess this franchise has become? I just can't see that happening.

Tomo El Gato and A-Bone like this.