Starcaster Bass...I could have bought this years ago. Another Bonehead move.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by IPLAYLOUD, Feb 14, 2012.

1. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

One of 3 Starcaster Basses made (the others were Sunburst).
    It was at a Guitar Show on Long Island about 14 years ago.
    NOBODY gave it a second look, Since I had Coronados, I zoomed in on it. VERY HEAVY, a very thin neck. Dealer (from NY) was asking $3K, I probably could have gotten it for $2400.
    I had a young family and no mad money. (Coulda traded my then 12 year old for it. We had another son.)

$20K now:
    http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/bass/fender/other/fender-starcaster-bass-natural-1975/

One of the Sunbursts in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLw77vU_N8

[​IMG]

2. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

3. epluribus

epluribus Member

Cool guit.

Y'know sometimes I think mfgrs. should take a page from the movie biz. Make the product, test it on the market, and if it doesn't fly, put it back in the can till the market comes to you, and then let it go on the better release date. Can't imagine there isn't a sizable niche market that wouldn't love these things.

--Ray

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

I always liked tiesco del rey's description of the starcaster as looking good "after a few drinks".

5. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Fender needs to build some of these and some Coronado's. Long overdue.

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Truth.

With the renewed popularity of offsets and WRHB's lately, I could see this happening. Although, they'd never do 'em in left-hand versions of course. Because, you know... then I could actually own a Starcaster. :bonk

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

If you want something close (has a 30" scale and is a set neck, though), try a Reverend Dub King. 2 big pickups and a REAL bridge...not the trapeze tail used on most all thinlines.

[​IMG]

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Back in about '88 I saw a Sunburst Starcaster guitar in great shape in a pawnshop for $450, and probably could have had it for $350-400. OH WELL !!!!

9. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

It's only "worth" $20,000 if someone pays $20,000 for it. A rich dude who must have impossibly rare Fenders? Perhaps. A bass player who wants a good looking/sounding bass? Not in a million years. Gawd that's ugly! Not even after a few drinks!

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I keep waiting on Fender to reissue their semi and hollowbody bass and electric guitars. With the music scene showcasing more and more guitar players without solidbody guitars you'd think Fender would pick up on that and run with it. I'd love to see an affordable real Starcaster (not the import ones bearing the same name) and Coronados, especially with different neck profiles.