Start-up noises on my blues jr...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Ozro4, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I got a tweed Blues Jr. about 9 months ago, and recently it's been acting up. Whenever I turn it on, it starts making some crazy popping/crackling noises, and the actual guitar sound will fade in and out. After about 2-3 minutes of being on, it works fine and sounds great.

I know the problem is in between the "volume" and "master" knobs, but that's about all I can figure out with my limited knowledge. Can anyone lend a hand?

2. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

Bump...anyone got any ideas?

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

possibly a power tube not seating right in the socket, do the tubes feel loose. try retensioning the sockets or just try cleaning the sockets with some Deoxit!

4. rogwerks

rogwerks Member

did u buy it new??

soundz like WARRANTY if so...

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sounds like a bad tube. Try your back up set. You could try reseating the old ones first though. Bob

6. Gene

Gene Member

I know exactly the problem. This is a Fender design flaw. There is actually a Fender tech note published regarding this problem.

If you are in NYC, I'll fix it for you.

7. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

Thanks for the help. I tried checking all the tubes, making sure they're in place - they seemed to be fine. TBH, I don't know much about tubes, and I don't have an extra set lying around. Unfortunately, I think the warranty has expired (I can't remember if I got extended, I'll need to check).

Gene, I'll actually be in NYC next week, but unfortunately my amp's not coming with me. What should I tell someone about the design flaw if I want to get it fixed? Do you have a link to that tech note?