Starting a pedal board.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott58, Aug 10, 2008.

1. scott58

scott58 Member

I just ordered an MXR Dyna comp to start a pedal board and was thinking maybe a fulltone OCD next month (should be able to do a pedal (or 2) a month) and a phase 90 after that. I need a fuzz and flanger also, but have no idea on which models (especially the fuzz). Anything else I should be looking at? I'd like the keep the pedal prices around $250 and below (each). I imagine some may be more and some may be less so that's ok.

I play zepplin and floyd mainly and alot of 80's hair metal mostly at home for myself. i have gigged to stand in for people, but it not something I pursue.

My current home practice rig is a POD XT Live through a Valve Junior and it's decent for what i'm doing, but I just want more. In the end (based on youtube vids) I'm very interested in the fargen miniplexi mk II so that may be the amp i end up with. I'm also looking at getting a fender deluxe roadhouse used and have some emg sa's installed for the Gilmour stuff. Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd suggest staying away from boutique stuff to start unless money is no issue. There are plenty of good non-boutique options out there right now. Here are some non-boutique suggestions (I have no affiliation whatsoever with MXR or Dunlop):

MXR ZW44 Wylde Overdrive - A very flexible pedal for under $100. Covers the same ground as the Fulltone OCD.

MXR 169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay - Been reading lots of good things aboutt his one. About $150. I have a Maxon AD999 which is an awesome analog delay, but at twice the price and size. I'm jonesing for an MXR 169.

MXR M173 Silicon Fuzz - $120. A highly-regarded silicon fuzz. Once you start getting into fuzzes, you can own a half dozen easy. Start with this one to get your feet wet. Supposed to be awesome.

May as well stay with the theme and get MXR's Jimi Wah.

For an amp, I'm a big fan of the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 combo. The clean channel is a great platform for pedals. It has plenty of output for gigs and has a pretty good built in reverb and tremolo.

Have fun.

3. scott58

scott58 Member

Thanks, the versatility of this POD is going to be a tough act to follow. I like fuzz so i'm going to try a few of those. how many people actually use a chorus pedal? Don't really bother with the one in the POD.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

POD's are definitely versatile, but I've always found they lack in "feel". I was a big fan of digital modeling until I started messing around with analog and now there's no going back.

Chorus, I have both the EH Small Clone and a Fulltone ChoralFlange. Both sound fine, but chorus is something I find little use for.

5. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

+1
    The POD still has a place though. I own an X3 Live, and aside from the modeling, it has enough I/O to sink a ship.

About the Fuzz - and be warned that I'm shopping too and not speaking from personal experience: The Keeley Fuzz and the AnalogMan Sunface are boutique and expensive, but they are also pretty well regarded. I like the sound clips of both of them with humbucking guitars, if that matters to you. For me, it will be either one of these or an EH Big Muff Pi NYC. Just my 2 cents.

6. scott58

scott58 Member

Yeah i think fuzz is about my favorite, so i'm willing to spend the most money on that one. One of my favorite settings in the POD involves compression, fuzz, a bit of flanger and some OD. I use the mesa dual rec model and 4X10's cab sim. I hear what your saying about the digital. I like what I have and it spanks about every SS amp i've ever plugged into, but i gotta go analog. I use my stuff to much not to.

7. bisticles

bisticles Member

It sounds like you're thinking things out the right way. Use the Pod to figure out what kind of stuff you use the most, and then within that particular type of effect, find out what features/design/type you like. Different choruses have different methods of achieving their effect, and it's usually not a simple matter of "Pedal X sounds better than Pedal Y". If you like the sound of a $50 phaser more than a $250 phaser, don't wonder what you're doing wrong... think about the money you saved.

8. pear gage

pear gage Member

The ocd should sound good throught he epi vj but I'm not sure about how it works with the vox. The ocd should get the zeppelin type tones so for fuzz you should consider a big muff type to get the floyd tones. Chorus should be your last purchase if at all.

9. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Well I disagree about the chorus if your after Floyd tones using your EMG DG20 pickups! PULSE he used the Boss CE2 chorus on every lead!! Should be able to pick up a Japan one for $120-130 in the emporium here. IF your after the Floyd Flange then look no further then the Electric Mistress

Also avoid the NYC US Muff - for Floyd your better off going for the Sovtek one but for Fuzz there are loads of choices e.g I hear BYOC Ramshead Muff is awesome and just like the vintage one!!

10. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

The Fargen Mini Plex Mk II is a great amp but you may want to look at something with an effects loops as fargen charges $250 extra for one. Maybe look at the new eganter rebel coming out.

Fuzz - Find out what kind you really want. Theres so many that sound really different. Fuzz Face, Tonebender, Big Muff, Germanium, Silicon. Check out ProGuitarShopDemos on youtube to find out more about effects.

Phaser - MXR or Retrosonic

Chorus - ChoralFlange

Check out catalinbread and MI-Audio Also

11. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Invest in a quality tuner pedal. Such things often get overlooked...

12. scott58

scott58 Member

Great guys, keep it coming. the only pedals i was really sure of was the phase 90 and the dyna-comp. i kinda want to say money really isn't an issue for the pedals, but like bisticles says sometimes you don't have to spend high $$$ to get a great pedal. My problem is the town i live in has absolutely no music store whatsoever, not one! I have to drive at least 30 minutes and even then the selection is limited. Internet is cool for alot of things, checking out tone in most cases isn't one of them.

Next weekend i'll try and find a fulltone and MXR ZW44 Wylde to compare and a fuzz face and silicone. pretty sure i saw a fuzz face a few months ago at my closest place, but don't recall a silicone or not and i know i haven't seen a tonebender, been wanting to try that for awhile. thanks again.

13. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

That's like saying you can smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day.;)

Another one bites the dust.

Bare bones...

OD/DIST
    Trem or Vibe
    Delay
    Volume Pedal

jeffhef

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

hey scott,

since you're goin' down this road. . .

i will suggest the boss od3 at under 60 bucks used as an excellent drive pedal.

i will also suggest calling paul cochrane for a timmy at 105 or so bucks. .. .

a phase 90 is an excellent thing. . . .

i would second whomever's comments regarding using the pod as a guage for what sounds you like and then talking to us more about that. . . .

15. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

I have a MXR flanger that I bought around 1981 and it's still working great and it sounds terrific.