starting a small recording studio ...need advice...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by musicguru, Jan 24, 2006.

1. musicguru

musicguru Member

looking to setup a small recording studio...have odds and end of stuff..usaully record thru friend studion he has highend gear im looking to go low end...have a drum machine...a 880ex board..and a marantz cd recorder...also a pod pro...

where do i start..hehe..i have a vocal harmonizer and other stuff

whats basics you need...stuff that does that does job but not putting me in debt....

compressor?
    noisegate?
    etc...

2. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

It's a hard question to answer without more information. What instruments do you want to record? Do you want to be able to track a full band at one time or just yourself? What is your budget? Are you happy with the gear you have now?

3. musicguru

musicguru Member

i would be recording and full band thing by myself..have a drum machine,pod pro rack,vocal hamonizer,boss880ex recording board,
    kind looking a for a simple setup i guess....like a demo type thing...

4. Rush_898

Rush_898 Member

http://studio-central.com/ That site helped me when I was first putting together my setup. Some very knowledgable and helpful people on the message board.

5. onemind

onemind Member

Your first decison will be to choose a device to record your tracks, will you be working to computer, HD Recorder, or something else

6. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Before you get too far, go here and read through his guides. This site has more information than you can imagine and will guide you through everything you need:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Rick

7. rick31797

rick31797 Member

I would just say>>> If you dont have one, You will need or should have a Condensor mic, that will need Phantom power supply.. maybe your recorder has power for Condensor

When i was recording i had a cheap MXL ( about 60.00) and it worked great> Didint know alot about recording and thought a shure SM 58 would sound good.. But No way>> There for Live , not recording.

I also had a Yamaha AW16G digital recorder.. worked great with CD burner.. they where 1800.00 In Canada when they first came out , Now u can get them used for about 500.00

Good Luck

Rick

8. shywilly

shywilly Member

There are so many great self contained DAW (Digital Audio Workstations)units now. I have a Korg D16XD and it really does have everything you need to record 8 track at a time up to 16 tracks. We have a couple lg diaphram studio mucs, AKG, Rode and a Groove Tubes mic. A couple SM57's for the guitar cabs and we are set.. These little DAW's are <$500 used now.. You get mic pre amps, effects and CD burning.. That will get you going.. Some guys like the PC recording thing, I have never tried that..