1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

starting amp kits?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yoyohomieg5432, Jan 10, 2008.

1. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

hi guys, im 17 years old and want to start learning how to build guitar amps as a hobby, and maybe a side job for the rest of my life.

i really dont have much knowledge on anything electrical, so i want to get a simple beginners kit and slowly work my way up to more complex amps. anyone got some suggestions?

2. fjam82

fjam82 Member

try a deluxe.... there's a bunch of companies that sell deluxe kits, pretty straight forward stuff.... do you have any experience soldering?

3. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

no, i can learn though. my dad might know how, i know my uncle does

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Tweed champ, simple as can be, plus it's a cool amp.

More complex (just a little)
    Tweed Deluxe, classic amp.
    18 Watt Lite IIB, normal channel of the Marshall 1974. See 18watt.com

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

My first suggestions if you can't even solder is to start small. Try a few true bypass pedals, or a pedal kit from BYOC. Another cool idea would be to find some old electronic junk and learn how to solder on that! There are some decent Youtube videos that will show you how to get started. Another thing to consider before you invest anything, is to research like mad. Try to see if you can take a basic electronics course in your area. You might also look up a older electronics repair person. They might be able to give you some pointers, or a few books or something to get you started. See if they have any old tubes lying around, or a tube tester, etc. Sometimes you can get some valuable stuff if you look around.

Good luck, and make your you are very safe! Tube amps can KILL. Read up as much as you can before you dive in. Caution it can become an addiction!

dk

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Since you're only 17, I'd suggest an electronics course at a community college, and building some simple projects. High voltage is dangerous, so study up.

See if there is a local builder who needs part time help. Start with shipping and warehouse duties to get your foot in the door. Be an apprentice.

If you have a passion for it, there is a tone of info out there. You could have a career doing something you love. How great is that?

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Apprenticeship or a part time helper position is a great way to get started.

There may also be an electronics club in your area where you can learn quite a bit.

You can start learning to solder with simple tasks like building your own cables.

It's best to get a soldering station rather than a soldering gun.

You might even drop by your local radio shack to see if they
    can point you to a local club or repair shop.

You might also check at 18watt.com to see if they have any pointers.

Very cool that you're taking your interest to the next level! :)

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

STF has several good introductory kits (excellent instructions included) at very good prices. And they sound great! I've built several of them for STF customers and think they are one of the best kit values on the planet.

http://www.stf-electronics.com

9. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

what am i supposed to be looking at from 18watt.com? do they sell the 18 watt kits there? i dont see it anywhere

10. doctord02

doctord02 Member

no kits at 18watt.com, just a discussion forum, schematics, and very knowlegable people.

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

There's a similar discussion in the Amp Technical threads with
    lots of good recommendations.

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

It's an amp building forum. There are a few vendors there.