Starting at the beginning.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by specialidiot, Mar 26, 2015.

1. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

I'm at the point in my learning journey where it's time to go beyond having a couple of pedals to actually putting a basic board together. I've done a little bit of searching here and on the intarweb, but it seems everyone is instantly an expert with a huge board full of pedals.

I have a couple I like - a Boss BD-2 and an EHX Soul Food, and have tried a few fuzz pedals but nothing "moves" me.

I have a Pedaltrain Mini along with the requisite power supply and patch cables, so I think I want to expand to a board with maybe 4 or 5 pedals.

Maybe the two I have are close enough, I can probably get a BD-2 sound out of my Soul Food, but not the other way around. Or am I wrong?

So I'm thinking.....

Soul Food
    Strymon Flint
    Some kind of low-gain fuzz
    Some kind of Chorus?
    Or maybe a looper?

What order should the be in?

A Flint seems like it covers a couple of bases, and I probably need a fuzz but what to get.....

Is a chorus pedal the missing piece? Or something else....

btw I play mostly rock, classic rock, blues/blues oriented rock if that matters.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget to tell him about the Behringer Vintage OD

4. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

A Wah
    So many to choose from...or just get a regular Dunlop Cry Baby from the pawn shop for $30.
    Just test it out first.

5. Coda11

Coda11 Member

The flint can be very good for blues / rock, old school tones!
    Reverb + tremolo + preset if you buy or build the favorite switch...
    I would suggest to keep the BD2 as an overdrive, and to use the soul food as a boost or a "always on" pedal to have a basic lightly crunchy sound

6. thecornman

thecornman Member

What kind of amp and guitar are you using? Are you playing at band volume or just low home volumes?

7. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

Think you will want a delay pedal.

I'd say keep the 2 drive pedals you have. The flint is cool for sure and covers a lot of ground. Now add a delay and I think you are there for a basic board. You could spend a few years exploring the sounds that would be available. Drive, reverb, trem, and delay - not much else required to have fun for a long time.

My own board is a lot like that. 2 drive pedals - prince of tone and a klone (mythical overdrive). Hardwire RV-7 for reverb. Suhr Jackrabbit for tremolo. Strymon El Capistan for delay. I honestly feel like I need to spend way more time with what I have to really understand what it can do before I add more - but what fun is that.

8. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

My advice is really make sure you do the boring stuff right.

Pedaltrain, Voodoo Lab power, decent cables with right angle ends (Mogami, Lava, Canare), a nice 12-15ft drop cord (for gigs)

whatever you decide in pedals will be made easier and more reliable with these type tools in place

(delay is really a must, even if you don't get it at first, I am a phaser lover and usually don't get on with chorus, but to each his own)

9. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

If I were doing a small board, I'd definitely have a Zoom CDR on it. Gives you chorus, reverb, delay +
    And they sound good
    AND it is a good tuner

10. specialidiot

I cruise the shops around here but mostly looking for tools, I always see crap guitars and amps but not pedals. I'll check them out though.

Gotcha... I'll set up that way.

Right now I'm mostly playing a Secret Recipe Strat (by Rocketfire) into a Savage Macht 6, I also have a Nelson semi-holow. All single coi at the moment but will probably be adding something with humbuckers. 90% at home, I do play with some friends from time to time.

Interesting.... I'm thinking about that Akai Headrush, maybe add that to the mix.

Good advise. I'll probably build my own patch cables and will look at Voodoo Lab power.

Zoom CDR, will put that on my list to checkout!

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's really appreciated.

11. specialidiot

This is where I am today. I'm working on the order of things yet. I'm mostly messing with where the EP-Booster fits.

[​IMG]

12. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Two things...
    1. That is a Pedaltrain Nano. The Mini is quite a bit longer.
    2. Tuner?
    3. On such a small board, I would probably go Tuner>Soul Food>BD2>Delay. If you do a mini tuner, you could probably fit the EP Booster on as well, which I would put after the BD2, as a solo boost.

13. specialidiot

Yeah I changed my mind.

I don't think so. I don't gig, so I don't see the benefit. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

I really like the EP-Booster, and may move it to the end.

No love for the Keeley? Or is it sorta redundant here..... I do like it on it's own.

I also have the Akai Headrush and am thinking of adding a Cry Baby. So maybe back to the mini.

Any other suggestions regarding the order here?

There is no 4.

14. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Member

Yeah I think a delay would be a great addition, by the way nice guitar and amp you have!

15. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

You mentioned that the fuzzes you have tried didn't move you. I'm not sure how you are running your amp, but if you are running it clean, you might want to move the fuzz to the beginning of the board and try running it into one of your ODs. Sometimes a fuzz can sound kind of flat and one dimensional or harsh on it's own, but into a dirty amp or OD can really come alive. Also, some fuzzes react to your guitar better if they are the first thing the guitar sees.

16. stephanar

stephanar Member

A wah pedal is a really nice addition. I would go with a delay and a wah in your nano for now, you don't need much more than that. The wah obviously won't fit (unless you buy a crybaby mini), but a wah on the floor feels much better.
    For delay I suggest a boss dd7. Not expensive, reliable, lot of functions, and it has a looper. A simple one, but it works.
    I would easily play with a wah - tube screamer - rat - dd7, but my board also has a big muff and a flanger for some pink floyd stuff.
    I also keep a fuzz face around, but this one stays alone. Wah + fuzz face is what I love, but doesn't work for everything.

17. specialidiot

K thanks, looking at the delay reco by stephanar below.

And yeah my Secret Recipe strat is awesome, I like it more every time I pick it up. When I played it through the EP-Booster I get more of what I love about it. I just picked up my Macht 6 from Savage yesterday where it was in for a tune up and fresh tubes. It's a damn fine amp.

Good to know about the fuzz, that makes sense based on what I'm hearing.

OK, more good info - thanks!

18. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Delay and reverb are a must. Does your amp have a reverb? That would be the minimum, but something in addition to that verb wise is really good at times. Having a tap delay is IMO more necessary than a dirt pedal (assuming I can get a decent tone out of my amp). Granted, both are great, but it would be hard for me to play without a tap delay. Which one? Opinions vary. DDx is good. Flashback x4 is great for only $150 used.

19. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Man if you can spring for a Flint, go for it… Verb + Trem is really nice. But on the cheap, hard to beat a Hall of Fame. There is one in the emporium for $90 used.

20. specialidiot

My Macht 6 has trem, not reverb...

I'm gonna need a bigger board.