Starting From Scratch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zoso19, Dec 20, 2009.

1. zoso19

zoso19 Member

Ok, so this year I've decided to withdraw a bit from my savings and finally build my own pedalboard. (having gigged and played without one for 4 years I figure I'm a bit late to the party) I'm going to be starting ENTIRELY FROM SCRATCH so I've got nothing here, just an AC15 and my trusty fat tele. Budget is between $700-$1000 and I live in NYC so I've got access to a ton of great stores. Can I get some suggestions? Everything from the board itself to pedals that are considered MUSTS. The music is mostly indie influenced rock with bits of radiohead, raconteurs and beach boys thrown in so covering a lot of ground. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. PanicProne

PanicProne Member

For the board I'd recommend give the IKEA GORM-idea a shot. Easy and cheap. Search oni the forums and you'll find what I'm talking about.. As for pedals. A nice tuner is always the way too start. Apart from that I recommend Ibanez DE-7 for delays (and the Line 6 M9 for a lot of stuff. Both give you a great bang for the buck! If you're not ino multi fx stuff and don't want the m9...dont get it. )
    What pedals are you looking for?

3. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I use a bamboo serving tray for my "board" if I am using more than two or three pedals. Save your money for your pedals (they are much more fun than a board), and start with a Tim or Timmy overdrive and a Carbon Copy delay.

You already have a great foundation with a Tele and an AC15. Plus, I believe your amp already has great reverb and tremolo built in. You probably don't need much more.

4. small axe

small axe Member

if i was going from scratch i would get a tuner, a wah, a od, distortion, delay and fuzz...you can pick the brands yourself...boutique or not

5. RomanS

RomanS Member

If I didn't have a lot of stuff already, and were building a board fropm scratch, I'd probably start with a Line 6 M9 for modulation & compression, and one or two good overdrives that work well with the guitar and amp you're using - for me, that would be a Barber LTD for low gain, and a Nobels ODR1 (or a clone of that one), or a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine for mid-gain.

6. zoso19

zoso19 Member

I'd like to set up the basics, tuner, wah od etc but at the same time i'm looking for some less heard sounds, some sounds that are more out there but not really noise stuff.

7. small axe

small axe Member

zvex pedals

8. thisday1

thisday1 Member

Any true bypass tuner would be good (Korg Pitchblack is what I have)
    You will need a power supply to power everything. Pedal Power 2 is a popular choice.
    For delay, a Boss DD7 might be a good idea until you find your particular favorite type of delay
    For some weird overdrive or experimental effects, look at JHS pedals. He modded some things for me back in the day that were very experimental sounding, but totally useable. Good luck. Your journey sounds like a fun one

9. bantoto

bantoto Member

10. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Yea turbo tuner is great, but so is the PitchBlack.

I have an AC15, and IMHO, a RAT is the way to go for distortion. I know Ludlow has almost all of the ProCo RAT variations in stock on a regular basis, but I'd keep an eye out for a Big Box version. But a used RAT2 will be super cheap and will probably satisfy your tonal cravings.

I'm not really into the whole "out there" sounds, but turning the delay knob on a Carbon Copy and using your whammy bar (I guess you don't have one on the tele...) is always fun :)

11. bantoto

bantoto Member

^^
    Great rig by the way!

12. GibsonSVG19

GibsonSVG19 Member

Just buy a whole bunch of Dan Electro pedals :D... lol jk check JHS pedals too for his RAT clone. I think its called "The All American." He also has some 2 in 1 pedals too. And maybe a delay and tuner (Pitchblack)

13. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

if i were going from scratch (and for size) now i would get a volume pedal, a TIM and FD2 an M9, and a tuner (i can't always read the tuner on the M9) a sweet hard case and a PP2 or burkey flatliner for power. But thats all i'd need. :D and it would be less than 1000 easy.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Gosh, there are SO MANY options for this and you've set aside more than enough $$$ to get started...

I'd say NYC Pedal Boards for a board figure a Six Shot or a Gigman will run you between $125 and $150. This coudl be the last board you even need unless you need more room.

Add a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power II+, thats another $170. I know there are cheeper options out there but if you get this you will never need anotehr power supply.

Pedals are a very personal thing but i'd say any pedal board worth talking about has a tuner...I use the Boss but the Kork Pitch Black gets a lot of love and is a little less $$$, call it $90.

For the Indie stuff a Big Muff goes a LONG way...I say don't bother with the half a million a high, dollar Muff clones out there...a plain old EH Big Muff is more than fine...The XO Big Muff is $90 and sounds real good to me. There are others EH does too and some of them are even less money!

Some echo is always a good thing be it classic rock, indie, surf, country...whatever...lots of options...Memory Boy, Carbon Copy, Malekko Ekko 616, Boss DD-3...all great units and all between $90 and $150.

A nice OD pedal is always a nice addition to most players be it for stand alone dirt or as a lead boost...no need to pay $500 for an OD pedal...Boss SD-1, MXR GT-OD, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Ibanez TS808...all great units between $45 and $175 or the MXR/CAE OD/Boost which offers Overdriver AND a clean boost for $140.

Something swirly is nice...there are way too many pedals to talk about really...just to get yer feet wet something like the Line 6 MM4 offers a LOT of different modulation and is only $250 new...

You could get everything I mentioned in this thread and still be in at less than $1000 and have a hell of a pedal board to start with!

15. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I'd say for for a PT Jr. with a hard case, PP2+ to mount underneath, a wah (can't help you here... as I don't really use one too often), Timmy, TS type OD (I love my Cusack Screamer) and an M9... Definitely a tuner as well, and if you don't like the M9, a Carbon Copy and DD5 would give you analog and digital with tap for a great price. This is all right at (and under with the two separate delays) $1000.

16. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

17. zoso19

zoso19 Member

awesome suggestions guys, thanks a ton and keep em coming, some more info on the rig

AC15, stock
    ESP Tele, 92', Modded with a dimarzio 36th anniv PAF in neck, Armstrong Preamp built into the pickguard, push push coil tap.
    Carvin CC6, Dragonburst with double hum, high gain bridge pickup, wilkinson trem

OTHER GUITARS THAT ARE NOT OWNED BY ME BUT ARE PLAYED THROUGH THIS RIG FAIRLY OFTEN:
    Ovation Ultra GP Red (from sometime in the 80's...eludes me now)
    Ovation Semi Hollow 335 style
    Les Paul Classic 03'

18. Steven

Steven Member

IMO TS type pedals dont sound that great with AC15/30 stylish amps. YMMV of course. Get a Tim/Timmy for low/medium dirt.