• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Starting lessons in January

pattste

I'm starting guitar lessons in January. I took a few classical guitar lessons in 1987 from a not so great teacher. I didn't play guitar at all from 1988 until 2006 or so. I have been playing semi-regularly since but I'm essentially self-thought. I took classical flute lessons from 2001 to 2006 so in theory I can read music but I play guitar by ear. I know some theory (RCM Advanced Rudiments with honours), more than most guitarists I would assume. I have no idea what to expect / how the lessons will go. I certainly don't fit the usual profile for a guitar student. My teacher is a pro jazz guitarist who's kind of a virtuoso. Time will tell whether he can be a good teacher too.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who started taking lessons later in life.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Time will tell whether you can be a good student. Don't expect to be spoon fed. Record all your lessons. Take notes, ask questions. You might learn something. The weight is on you.

mrspag

I've taken a few lessons recently. Been playing about twenty years without ever taking a lesson. I figured I could use some pointers and it turned out to be a great experience. Different ways to look at the neck for soloing, improvements to my technique, different styles than I would have ever pursued on my own but has greatly improved my respect for other genres and given me new tools to put in my own style of playing, etc.

Hysteria

I started taking lessons July of 2013, and I'm glad I did. Great experience , but make sure you practice in between your lessons to make the experience more rewarding on both of you.

I just got back into playing after many years, and am really happy with my progression.

Make it fun and have fun.

levous

I took lessons as a kid in the 90s. The next tenth years varied in how much I played and studied, independently. Last year I started taking lessons with a jazz monster. Id never even listened to much jazz before that. I can tell you two helpful things:
It'll take some time before the new skills and knowledge becomes natural
You don't know what you don't know.

Trending Topics