Starting to do home recording, some help please!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by j_m_s, Mar 5, 2008.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Hey guys,

quite new to this recording thingy. Would first off like to get myself some recording gear aye?

Alrighty. Ill be recording drums, guitar, piano, vocals and bass. Basically most of the instruments in a band. And possibly might use it for live recordings.

I was thinking of a presonus firebox, is that the way to go?

My computer would be a macbook. Currently 1gb ram and 80 gb hardisk. will up the ram and get an external hard disk. Ive got garageband loaded up on that.

And IIRC, the firebox will come with software (Cubase i think)

That'll be enough right?

As for mics, what are the recommended ones? Shures? Im on abit of a tight budget, so no expensive mics please.

okay, so besides the firebox as a interface, what are my other options that are around the same pricing?

and for mics?

Will appreciate it!

God Bless
    James

2. miltwill

miltwill Member

Hey dude,

I've been using firebox with a new Macbook/Garageband with great results. The firebox works great with Leopard. No issues at all. I've never even loaded any of the software that came with it. Just plugged it in and changed the settings in the preference menus... very simple.

I think you definitely need to add some RAM. I moved my Macbook to 4 Gigs for about $175, it made a big difference as far as speed and smoothness. At a minimum i'd add another gig of ram.

If you need to record everything at once the firebox might not have enough ins and outs. Otherwise it is a great little unit.

You should try and find some decent powered monitors... i'm using KRK rokit 5s.

Cheers,

Milt

3. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

ah. i dont think ill be recording everything at once. my mac's still on tiger. got it last march and no turning back! hehe.

you got it from macramdirect.com ? Yeah. been thinking about 4gigs of ram too.. dang. its gonna cost me a fair bit.

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, love my Presonus Firepod with my mac. I actually use a Mac mini with an external drive tie-wrapped to it. "mini stack" I think it's called.

Bass you can go direct with or without a box but Garageband has bass amps that sound great plugging a bass directly into the Presonus. Guitars you can use SM57's and maybe a condenser further back but SM57's are industry standard. Drums take the most and I would use the best condenser mics you can get for the overheads and also rely on them for the toms too. I would use something like a Beta 52 (I think it's a 52) for the kick drum and experiment with placement. Some like it inside the drum if you have a hole, some like it on the outside.... Snare can be mic'd with a 57 and there's various ways to mic the snare too and you can even mic UNDER the snare but check for phase cancellation.

There are great books as well as articled on the web so check there too.

Good luck,

Chris

The SM57 and Beta whatever mics are indeed Shure mics. I have an SM81 for one of my overheads but it was around $350 and might be out of your budget. I've gotten great results with peavey condenser mics too though. The condenser mics pic up the high detail much better and it can really make all the difference in a recording.

5. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

alright. just spent abit to upgrade my ram to 4gb at an it fair today. Was dirt cheap!

and got an external hard disk(120GB). Its a maxtor w 1 touch backup.

though i just saw that i could have gotten a 1TB one for about double what i paid for the maxtor 120gb.

dang.